Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1985 Harley-Davidson FXRT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm a software engineer from Philly and I recently bought a 1985 FXRT as my first project bike. I also have a 2016 Dyna Low Rider as my "reliable" bike. I used to like to work on computers, but since computers became my job I no longer really want to work on them in my free time. I still like to tinker with things and find out how they work though, but I'm always scared to take apart my Dyna because if I mess it up then I can't ride until it's back together. So the solution for me was to buy a project bike to learn stuff on without stressing over getting it back together or annoying my friends by breaking down on a ride.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

The goal with this bike is to make it reliable and get it back to looking more or less how it would have coming out of the factory by putting the hard bags and fairing back on.

See you all on the road!

· Registered
438 Posts
Prepare yourself for some serious sticker shock when it comes time to buy the bespoke parts for that thing. Saddle bags and fairings and associated parts are practically unobtainium, and the ones out there are priced accordingly. Thirty years ago a guy I worked with stuffed his then pristine one in a ditch and busted up the plastic. He still has it and still had all the broken parts. Last year he decided to restore it. So far I know he's spent at least 5 or 6 grand on parts, and he's really not done. He's been riding it since he wrecked it with it set up like your picture. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts