Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally came off the fence after a couple of years of visiting the site and decided to join up and introduce myself. This is a great site, the skills and
inventiveness of it's members is inspirational.:cool:
I've been riding bikes all my life (I'm 48) and started (legally) at 16 with a Fizzie. I traded that at 17 for a Royal Enfield Continental GT 250, which I collected in six boxes. I was an Apprentice Machine Tool Fitter, so I had access to lathes, mills and grinders, so getting it built and running wasn't too hard. A year later I was made redundant and spent my severance pay on a 1969 Bonnie which I rode for three years, including a couple of trips to the TT. At the same time I built my first Chopper, a '54 Thunderbird and rode around on that for a while (while rebuilding the Bonnie) until I snapped the crank. I built another Pre- unit chop, using a 6T motor, but sold it to buy a '78 850 Commando off a mate. I've owned and rebuilt lots of bikes since then including a '52 Panhead and various Beezers and Triumphs. I currently run a '98 Buell S1 as my daily transport. I've done 28,000 miles on that with no major problems, except when the belt let go at 19.000 miles. I've also got a Hinckley triple in the garage, which I use for European trips.
The one bike that I've never dreamt of selling though (even when I was about to lose my house) is my little red Speed Twin.
I've owned this bike for 25 years and ridden 20,000 miles on it, including 2 trips to the Island. I've rebuilt it a couple of times and now it's coming apart again. The last time I built it, we were in a recession in the early 90's and I had no money. This meant that it got a Hammerite paint job and no new chrome. Then the kids came along and she's been sitting in the back of the garage for 15 years, covered in toys and DIY shit and generally being ignored until last weekend.
I'd lost interest in the custom scene many years ago when bike shows were all about £30,000 bikes with £5,000 paint jobs ridden by people that wouldn't know a tap wrench from a "Road Captain" bib.
Thanks to you guys, I spent last weekend ripping out my garage, laying down a bit of carpet that I blagged from work to make it a bit cosier this Winter and then starting on the strip down. It will take a while, as all these years later I'm still broke, but it will get done.
Click the link if you want to see more pictures.
Thanks for listening.;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome to the group. If there is anything I can help you with from stateside drop me a PM and I will try to help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts