Jockey Journal Forum banner

Heavy Steering Problems

4K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  little d 
#1 · (Edited)
user generated content

#8 ·
What is a flatlander? I dig the apes! Especially if you intend to throw a twisted springer on there. As far as comfort and rideability, I say as long as it looks cool who cares. Since when have choppers been built for comfort. I'm reminded on a daily basis that my back doesn't like a hardtail, but that's why they invented ibproferin. Learn to ride it, and you'll only hone your riding skills, plus none of your buddies will want to ride it.

#17 ·
Two things come to my mind. If the springer stem is chewed up in the middle shouldn't there be evidence of the chewing inside the neck?
The stem only has to be 1" where the bearings sit. You can safely file, sand, grind down the middle of the stem until it binds no more.
Second is that on stock Harley trees the lower bearing is a press fit while the upper bearing slides easy on and off.

#19 ·
I would definitely look into the neck of the frame rubbing the stem. Sounds like someone burned thru with weld and it is hitting in there. Pull the top race out of the frame and slip the bottom tree in with the stem and check the clearance. Hey at least it's a family affair! LOL! Nice Ironhead man.

#23 ·
Glad you figured it out.
It can be frustrating, but you don't get what your after for free. it's the bikes way of saying "Don't give up on me"
Post some pics of your custom rockers (on & off the bike if you got 'em).
I'm very interested to see what springer rockers that reduce the trail look like.

Which front end will you end up using? DNA's are fine.

#27 ·
I'm just trying to figure out the trail story.
9" - 10" is allot of trail, & unless I'm wrong (which I may be) the DNA springer runs parralell with the neck, getting it's trail in the rockers (about 3.5").
Rake should have no real affect on trail.
To shorten the trail by 6" means bringing the front wheel closer to the bike, not further away.
Longer rockers prolly work fine, & may make the ride a bit nicer, but will only increase trail.
Since the problem was in the neck, I bet the original rockers will be fine. They also contain brass bushings, so I bet they'll hold up better (no disparagement meant to yours).
That's why I wanted to see them.
I could be totally wrong here. Let me know if I am.
Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.