Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a set of Sifton h-duty springs, probably 50 pounders in my ironhead, and am having a bitch of a time...do I use the stock measurments for clearance of the pressure plates ( 3/16 between plate and spring cups) or do these springs chance all oem measurments?

Hand lever is hard as hell, bike won't even roll when in first gear, and dies when I let out the clutch!

Help JJers! Help me.....

·
Registered
896 Posts
When you engage the clutch does it roll? I had a hell of a time getting my clutch adjusted. The set screw bolt thingy ma bobber was giving me hell. I'd get it set where it felt right when I rode around the block, but when I got up to highway speeds it would start slipping. I ended up throwing my tools in my bag and going for a ride. I finally got it dialed in about 4 stops later.

·
Registered
896 Posts
When you engage the clutch it should roll as easily as it does in Nuetral. If it doesn't that means your clutch isn't traveling enough and it will drag when you engage the clutch. Ironhead clutches are definatley a work out, even when they are dialed in.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I expect the heavy clutch, but this is the first real clutch related issue I've had and it's killing me...figured it should you know roll like a car!

But somtimes when you are changing shit and sweating and wrenching and not getting anywhere you start to forget the obvious!

·
Registered
896 Posts
FrankBen777 said:
I expect the heavy clutch, but this is the first real clutch related issue I've had and it's killing me...figured it should you know roll like a car!

But somtimes when you are changing shit and sweating and wrenching and not getting anywhere you start to forget the obvious!
I've made some dumb mistakes while workin on my bike. The best was my 2 day brake job. It literally took me 2 days to bleed my front brakes. I never did dual calipers though, and it's tricky.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The mesurement will stay the same. Is there a reason your using the heavy springs? They were mostly used in drag bikes where you just poped the clutch. You are going to have a hard time slipping the clutch (taking of on a hill) and traffic will kill you. A properly adjusted clutch with stock springs will handle most sstreet bikes and be a lot easier to live with. If your addressing a slipping isue and are using the stock type plates: (1) if oil is getting in the clutch pak, replace the clutch hub seal and use gasket sealer on the cover gasket. (2.) OR use Barnetts wet or dry plates and don't worry about it. (3.) The heavy springs also have a habbit of pulling the "T" cable end out of the worm gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts