Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have been working on my 63 triumph for a while, its been one of those builds that fights you the whole way. Finally got the motor dialed in and took it for a spin around the block, when i hit the throttle, my chain tensioner, spring loaded sprocket type, bends to much for the chain slap and just starts to hit the frame cross memeber in the bottom rear. My question is, can I heat up the tube and pinch it some, so basically making it flatter instead of round, clearing up some room for the chain tensioner? It would be a pain in the ass to redo the whole chain setup since its a weld on. Any body got any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cant put a bigger sprocket, that would make it hit even more. Making a stopper would be a good idea, but would effect the actual workings of the chain tensioner, just coming to a stop at one point?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Some times you gotta ask yourself if this sounds like a good idea or if it sounds wrong, move the chain tensioner, who cares if it was already welded, you put it in the wrong place

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the cross member is on the hardtail in the right spot, and the tensioner either has to be higher so that it does not move all the way down and it the cross memeber, but i would have to re fab the whole tensioner to do that. I did not think the chain slap would be that strong to move the sprocket with the tension of the spring that far down. There really is not that much room to move it around and I basically need about 1/2 more inch of clearance. Mike47 has a point of maybe some type of stop so it can go as far down.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think i might try putting some kind of stop on it so that it cant be pushed down so far to hit the cross member. I really dont want to change it up bc I like where it is and it would mean moving alot of other pieces. BUT if that doesnt work well then I guess that is what will be done. I basically just want to ride it and test out the motor I rebuilt, some race goodies in there and want to see what kind of power it has.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought of that but its one of those monster craftsman ones with the coiled spring so i wouldnt know were how how to get a stiffer one. I was looking to see if there was anyway to stiffen up that spring, like moving the position of it, but didnt come up with anything

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So Mike47 was the winner, basically made a little stop for the tensioner so that it still had room to move but would stop just short of hitting the cross member. Ripped on the motor yesterday and had no issues. Thanks for all that chimed in. Hotsos, no offense taken, sometimes people need to hear what they dont want to haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.