Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've got an idea for my paint job. I want to do some art on top of the raw metal of my tins. I was thinking I could have the tins cleared with the clear powder coat then put the art on top with one shot and clear all of it with urethane to preserve the art. Or maybe I could just clear urethane over the metal ; but with no primer wouldn't it come off?

The raw metal look is a must for my idea. If I have to airbrush the metal look on I could do that; but the true metal is more appealing to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
why even bother clearing over the 1-shot?

Bike guys always wanna clear over 1 shot because they dont think its durable yet look at rods and kustoms that were done 50+ years ago!

plus, if you ever wanted to take the graphic off, just use some oven cleaner and your all set.

1-shot is extremely durable without being cleared over. if you are going to clear over it anyways, then might as well use HoK lettering/striping paint thats a lot easier to clear over.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Caffeine's right, clearing over the metal is cool but it costs more and can be a problem if you're not careful (adhesion can be less, rust from wet weather or salts in skin oil when you touch it, and nerds asking you "when are ya gonna paint it?). 1 shot over raw metal and maybe some Gibbs rubbed on every once in a while could be good. You'll still have nerd problems tho'.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what youre saying is no clear at all just graphics over the metal and walk away. have a beer, and deal with the geeks.

sounds good.

Mitch

Conder said:
Caffeine's right, clearing over the metal is cool but it costs more and can be a problem if you're not careful (adhesion can be less, rust from wet weather or salts in skin oil when you touch it, and nerds asking you "when are ya gonna paint it?). 1 shot over raw metal and maybe some Gibbs rubbed on every once in a while could be good. You'll still have nerd problems tho'.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
i hate when people clear over pinstriping or hand painted graphics. unless its airbrushed, or are scallop/flame outlines, it takes the hand painted look out of the pinstriping/graphic if you put it under clear. you have to think about how much clear your going to have ot put on to bury the 1-shot to make it look good. if your not going to bury it completely, its not worth it.

whens the last time you saw pinstriping on a car, or lettering/graphics other than scallop/flame outlines or airbrushing, under the clear on a car?

-Rob

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a point. Sounds good, thanks Rob

caffeine said:
i hate when people clear over pinstriping or hand painted graphics. unless its airbrushed, or are scallop/flame outlines, it takes the hand painted look out of the pinstriping/graphic if you put it under clear. you have to think about how much clear your going to have ot put on to bury the 1-shot to make it look good. if your not going to bury it completely, its not worth it.

whens the last time you saw pinstriping on a car, or lettering/graphics other than scallop/flame outlines or airbrushing, under the clear on a car?

-Rob

·
Registered
51 Posts
yes definately use the house of kolor set up or similar...although one shot is always praised so much...you cant convince me it's all that great for BIKES cause Ive seen it come right off. Not up on the latest from one shot but it used to be great...if you werent going to do anything but look at the work cause gas and elements it didnt hold up. When I do some sort of sign work or simple graphic art as in show cards etc...one shot is great...for bikes...I stay with Hoiuse of Kolor ...I airbrush and pinstripe and also all my own lettering yep Im old and stuck in old ways that work well...30yrs of it ...but what do I know?...not everything by far and learn new everyday.Good luck.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Conder said:
What happened to One-Shot? Something about it seems weird these days. Did they change it because of environmental concerns or what?
yeah it sucks, its runny and doesnt cover well ...partially has to do with lead removal, partially has to do with something else..

i let my black sit out uncovered foa week before i touch it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Y'know, I'll bet there's a guy out there somewhere with a stockpile of all the great paint that's been banned or dis-continued. Old One-Shot, Murano Pearl, Lacquer, anodized aluminum 'Flake...

I know a guy in Carnation washington who has bags of vintage colored metalflake. He's an old painter from waaaaay back.

·
Registered
504 Posts
they have clear powder coat?

please show me a picture, i've having trouble believing it could be clear enough to still look like bare metal.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Its so clear it wont show up in the pic.LoL

The stuff I have seen is a little yellow colored it could have been also the metal color made it that way.
Shoe
snortonnorton said:
they have clear powder coat?

please show me a picture, i've having trouble believing it could be clear enough to still look like bare metal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts