Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to clean some things up and would like to get rid of the toggle switch that is wired into my headlight (hi/off/lo), the plug on the back of the light has three prongs (ground, hi, lo) just I just run my power to the high prong and eliminate the lo?? my ignition switch is wired to turn the light off or on and I dont use the lo beam so can I eliminate the switch this way?? thanks-

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dan most states require high/low beam for inspection I think. But if you tie into the key then there is a drain when key is on ie when checking stuff.
Dan said:
trying to clean some things up and would like to get rid of the toggle switch that is wired into my headlight (hi/off/lo), the plug on the back of the light has three prongs (ground, hi, lo) just I just run my power to the high prong and eliminate the lo?? my ignition switch is wired to turn the light off or on and I dont use the lo beam so can I eliminate the switch this way?? thanks-

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
sure you can. I usually mount a small toggle switch on the back inside of the headlight bucket with a high low 2 position(no off). then I run only one wire to the headlight bucket, this keeps everything nice and tidy but still gives you the option of hi/lo. wish I had a pic handy but the end result is one wire going in to the headlight and a little toggle lever sticking out. if you need to switch from hi to low you just got to reach forward a bit and swipe the back of the headlight.

Dan said:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the toggle switch right now on the back of the headlight, that was what I was trying to get rid of and just have the light on high at all times...

the hi/lo required by law is a good point, probably better check into that, as far as it draining it dont think that is a problem, when my key is turned one way everything has power except the headlight, the middle kills all power and forward sends power to everything including the headlight...

for the one wire that does come out of the headlight I messed around the lathe some last night and drilled some holes so the wire is run inside and through the mounting components, might look kinda trick when all done...

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
A friend of mine got stopped by the local cops cuz he didn't flash his high beam when the cop flashed him.....Late at nite after the bars closed, and the cops apparently do it for a reason to stop and check for alcohol......he went to jail.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Boy,That sure is a chicken shit way to bust a big bad biker type.Might be a reason to use the low/high beam setup.Saw a way to run low beam normal but when you switched to high beam low and high were lit.Someone out there know how to wire that up? What town or city was that? I don't want to go there.Frosty

·
Registered
145 Posts
Guys, guys, guys! The reason to have high/low is your own safety! Your cool and close wiring and hide will be suckin when the cager is tellin the cop that she was blinded by your headlight. Be a little intelligent, and think about oncoming traffic. You may be Bill Bad, and that's all good, but you may get killed cause you're too lazy to run a low circuit. Now wake up, and remember you ain't alone out there, and the others are all IDIOTS. :eek:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ummm...ok...let me frame the question another way...where can I find a really small toggle switch I can maybe run on the handlebars somewhere to get rid of the toggle switch on the headlight??

signed,
lazy, sleepy, not very intelligent, Bill Bad :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Dan said:
thats different, I suppose the switches dont care if they are switching 12 volts or 110??? that opens up a whole bunch of different options.
I really don't know shit about electrical, but think it has something to do with the amps (if the switch isn't rated for enough amps, it will burn out), but I may be wrong. I've had this set up for about a year and it hasn't caused any problems/failures yet. The good thing is that the light switch was like $0.99 and the other two were just a couple of bucks each.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
that pic gives me the shivers. it's not a real good thing to put switches down around open belts or primaries. at the last hog rally here some dude was reaching for the key on his open primary billit chopper and lost 3 fingers off his left hand. it was mounted below the seat and just above the clutch basket. he just smooth stuck his hand in the running primary chain. fuck fashion, i run chain guards.

·
Registered
801 Posts
lilbill said:
that pic gives me the shivers. it's not a real good thing to put switches down around open belts or primaries. at the last hog rally here some dude was reaching for the key on his open primary billit chopper and lost 3 fingers off his left hand. it was mounted below the seat and just above the clutch basket. he just smooth stuck his hand in the running primary chain. fuck fashion, i run chain guards.
damn it...i am pretty safety conscious, but i never thought of this until now. now you gave me the shivers. ummm...maybe i should move those...

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
hogtownhd said:
damn it...i am pretty safety conscious, but i never thought of this until now. now you gave me the shivers. ummm...maybe i should move those...
do you grab for the ones on the right side while moving>? if not, dont sweat it.

lillbill said:
at the last hog rally here some dude was reaching for the key on his open primary billit chopper....
that explains it!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
801 Posts
tom said:
do you grab for the ones on the right side while moving>? if not, dont sweat it.

that explains it!:rolleyes:
No, not really. I think the picture makes it look closer to the belt than it really is. My initial thought of "shit...oops" is kind of wearing off...I don't think it will be a problem (hasn't yet).

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
hogtownhd said:
No, not really. I think the picture makes it look closer to the belt than it really is. My initial thought of "shit...oops" is kind of wearing off...I don't think it will be a problem (hasn't yet).
you shouldn't have a problem with your particuler set-up. if you get a finger in that belt it will toss it forward away from the pully. it's shit near a open primary that scares me.
I had a club brother down in lake charles named peterkins who was showing a prospect how to adjust the primary chain on a running sportster. No shit, he points at the chain and says "be careful not to get your fingers in the chain"........then he sticks his fingers in the chain. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.