Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am mocking up my pipes and i want to know others experence with headder wrap hen using it is there a need to ground down welds or just wrap over it? the main reason i want to know is is the wrap will cover welds and look uniform then i know how percise my fitment needs to be

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just went right over the welds with no grinding at all. The wrap is imperfect, especially going around bends. Since most of the welds are where the bends are made it works well. If you are planning any really tight fits with the exhaust, remember that the wrap will increase the overall diameter of the pipe. It seems insignifigant but it can come into play.
Jakemon

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
coolcastings.com said:
Wrap will cover just about anything. I have covered a few sets of headers - pain in the neck. Straight pipes with some slight curves should be a breeze, don't forget to soak the wrap first - makes it alot easier
I did this on the second set I made, and he speaks volumes of wisdom....it did indeed make it easier and kept the fiber dust down as well, bolt em on and bake em dry.
Then I sprayed mine with high heat BBQ black and it kinda coated and tied the fibers up even more and they baked on nice and the color has stayed for a season of riding so far.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Also.....if you have some tight bends, I would keep a pair of scissors handy, make a few snips in the area that tends to fold and it will lay down nice. And great advice....not only does wetting them make them go on easier...but it also will cut down on itching ass arms!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts