Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Funny how the one bike to wash ashore from Japan is a Harley. Glad the owner is alive and well. But it would have been fun trying to register it here.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If the container was air tight as it would have to be to float across the ocean, how did it get all the crap on it and get corroded? Isn't it a tiny bit hard to believe that a container with that kind of weight in it was un damaged in a Tsunami? Even if there was a pin hole leak, in the time since the Tsunami, wouldn't it have filled up with water and sunk to the bottom of the ocean? Not saying it isn't true, I'm just having a hard time believing it:confused:

·
Registered
296 Posts
If the container was air tight as it would have to be to float across the ocean, how did it get all the crap on it and get corroded? Isn't it a tiny bit hard to believe that a container with that kind of weight in it was un damaged in a Tsunami? Even if there was a pin hole leak, in the time since the Tsunami, wouldn't it have filled up with water and sunk to the bottom of the ocean? Not saying it isn't true, I'm just having a hard time believing it:confused:
You ever see a bottle floating in the ocean? If the hole(s) were lower than the water line and the container was air tight above and had enough bouyancy to keep floating....It's not really that far fetched a story.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
STOKED the owner is alive. Bike looks like it was laying on its side which would account for all the damage if the container had some salt water in it. Its been a year guys so I would think quite consistent damage. Still so sad about the near 20,000 killed and/or missing. :(

Read the 1st few lines.... I really hope this gets home and is ridden again.

"He said he lost his home and three family members in the tsunami and is now living in temporary accommodation. The motorcycle was being kept at his house in the back section of a cube van that he was using as a storage shed when the tsunami struck.
He said he bought the bike five years ago and some of his fondest memories were of his tours around Japan on it.
When asked if he wanted to say anything to his bike, Yokoyama laughed and and said, "Thanks for coming back buddy," in Japanese."

·
Registered
198 Posts
I guess attention wasn't paid. They mentioned that the container did not sink because of the type of foam that it was made.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I read on another forum that Harley is going to rebuild it for him and send it back. Thats a really cool gesture. A big tip of the hat to Harley!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Read about this and hoped he was still above ground, good to hear that.... the site I saw the story had one comment in particular that must have been a fan of Barret or the Paulsies.. "You could bring that to an auction and someone would pay millions for it".... Ha! Ha!

·
Registered
35 Posts
The bike in the container is real.....not shure where the other one on the beach is from. Im no expert but the front spokes look to have rusted of leaving the wheel to sit the way it is....but it does look kind of like the same bike .. .Edit looks like it was the same bike guess the guy that found it shoved it back into the container.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.