Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know if a juice brake swingarm (58-72) will fit a later frame (73-84) ?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i wanna put a juice drum on the back of my 77 (square) but i wasn't sure if the round style swingarm would fit the later frame. you got any juice brake parts ?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a round swingarm in a later frame. Works just fine. I even adapted it for disc, which required some one-off shit and some welding, but before I did that, I ran it with a juice drum. I have the parts you need, at least I think I do, but for now they are commited to a bro. Let me know what you need, and I'll talk to him about them. I have the complete setup, backing plate with all the guts - rough, but hey, parts is parts, and all very functional, if ugly.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Panhead Jim said:
I have a round swingarm in a later frame. Works just fine. I even adapted it for disc, which required some one-off shit and some welding, but before I did that, I ran it with a juice drum. I have the parts you need, at least I think I do, but for now they are commited to a bro. Let me know what you need, and I'll talk to him about them. I have the complete setup, backing plate with all the guts - rough, but hey, parts is parts, and all very functional, if ugly.
cool, so far all i have is a drum&sprocket. i THINK it's the 67-72 but i'm not 100% on that. i'd appreciate any pieces or leads.

·
Registered
145 Posts
lilbill said:
cool, so far all i have is a drum&sprocket. i THINK it's the 67-72 but i'm not 100% on that. i'd appreciate any pieces or leads.
I've got the whole deal, though you will have to work at the aesthetics. Not that it's that bad, just rough in appearance is all. Fully functional. Let me check with my bro, he's been talking softail brake on his, so he's probably past my shit. I'll never run it again, so I'm sure me and you can work something out. I'm glad you have the drum and sprocket, mine needs either re-riveting or welding one, it's why I went disc...

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Round is much much classier AND...lowers your rear about an inch with the same shocks..:cool:

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dragon said:

round & square are easy-interchangeable ..

round is much classier IMHO ..

I have several extra round ones if you'd like to swap swingarm-for swingarm ..

if i don't get the pieces from jim you got a deal. thanks

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Panhead Jim said:
I've got the whole deal, though you will have to work at the aesthetics. Not that it's that bad, just rough in appearance is all. Fully functional. Let me check with my bro, he's been talking softail brake on his, so he's probably past my shit. I'll never run it again, so I'm sure me and you can work something out. I'm glad you have the drum and sprocket, mine needs either re-riveting or welding one, it's why I went disc...
keep me posted. i've got the bike apart now dropping the seat frame and setting up the rear fender and ride height so nows the perfect time for a swingarm swap. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
reviving an old thread instead of making a new one....I have a swingarm frame I just purchased with no VIN so is pre-70 but has a square swingarm...we have established that round and square will interchange and that the round will give an appx 1 inch lower stance in the back....SO my question is , can you flip a round swingarm over to RAISE the ass-end an inch? Looks as though the shock mounts are about in the center, so that would be OK, is there any difference in the bearings side to side(thinking thrust surfaces)? I know this is going backwards but I have a bike plan in my head for a swingin' arm bike that handles well and dont want to cut the frame, so rainsign the back a bit will help geometry. Forks will be no-so-old and will be modified. yes I know the square is stronger, but the round so so much prettier and I can brace it and it will still look beter than the square.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
The swingarms are not symmetrical, they are offset to one side, so flipping it over is not an option.
Put on longer shocks!
Robbie

·
Registered
755 Posts
yes I know the square is stronger, but the round so so much prettier and I can brace it and it will still look beter than the square.
Since this came up...is it true? I'd heard, once, the round swing arm was stronger. I'm thinking square is cheaper and probably comparable in strength(?)

When I was discussing moving to a round swing arm with my local shop, they asked me why I wanted to move backwards. I didn't agree it was moving backwards. I'm curious what engineers (or backyard engineers) say.

·
Registered
122 Posts
"I have a round swingarm in a later frame. Works just fine. I even adapted it for disc, which required some one-off shit and some welding,"

Panhead Jim- If its not too much trouble... Could you explain what all needed to be done. Ive been wanting to run a disk on my round swing arm. And have been trying to figure out what all I need to do.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
"I have a round swingarm in a later frame. Works just fine. I even adapted it for disc, which required some one-off shit and some welding,"

Panhead Jim- If its not too much trouble... Could you explain what all needed to be done. Ive been wanting to run a disk on my round swing arm. And have been trying to figure out what all I need to do.
It is pretty easy. The banana caliper and mount will work as the spacer is the same width i believe. Also a 2000-up caliper will do it and are cheap. you can cut the stock "ear" off it, hang it at 6 o'clock, then you just have to make a brake stay and weld a tab to the swing arm for it. I did it on my 78 shovel when i went to a round swing arm. You have to shave some of the right rear inside of the axle plate but there is plenty of meat. i'll try and find a pic.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts