Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I can't take it anymore! I need to know more about early HD motors (Knucks to Shovels, not flattys). I'm a Triumph guy and really have no experience with HD motors. I would like to learn some things for a possible future project. So here goes...

What's interchangable between Knuckles, Panheads, and Early Shovelhead motors? Example.... pan bottom w/shovel top... what other combos will work? Can I put Knuckle tops on a pan or early shovelhead bottom end?

How about internals... cranks, cams, pushrods, rockers, rods, etc.?? What's interchangeable?

How about aftermarket parts... how are the Vtwin MFG. heads, rocker boxes, etc.? Better than stock? Junk? What's the word?

How about S&S's NEW early "alternator/generator" shovel bottom end with Knuck or Pan top ends? Would that work?

How about large bore kits for older motors? What's available?

Is there a place/forum/website that someone can point me to where it breaks this stuff down? Anyone have the freetime to just puke all this information up? I want to know more! :)

Any info would help! Thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm running an S&S super stock shovel alternator bottom with a pan upper.Heads are new dual plug.Dyno'd at 98 H.P. I don't weigh enough to kick it so I went with electric start.Maybe when it's broken in I'll be able to kick start it.S&S G carb too.Runs super so far but I'm in the breakin period. It was late fall by the time it was road ready.I dont want to start it once the oil gets too thick from the cold so I'm working on my other bike and biding my time till spring.Can't wait.Raps like a drag bike. It's one sick and wrong jammer. -Strat.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Irish Rich said:
What Fits What on Harley-Davidson Motorcycles 1936-1983
by Mike Arman and Kurt Heinrichs
and
How To Restore Your Harley-Davidson
by Bruce Palmer III
agreed.. those two will tell you everything you need to know..
they are a great reference no garage should be without.
start with What Fits What... that will answer most of your questions until you go out and buy sumthin..

butche

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Re: HD people: "sorta' Early" HD motors 101

Thanks for book references. I'll check 'em out.

Now, assuming that those books will answer most of my questions (first book Rich mentioned is on the way) regarding what fits what... how about aftermarket stuff? What's good, what should be considered and avoided... S&S, v-twin mfg, any others?? Catalogs have helped me with other builds in the past, what catalogs should I have on hand for reference or purchase? Websites?

Oops! Sorry Rich! I thought about that after I posted... I should have known better! Especially after going to the Vegas Antique Motorcycle auction and seeing HD's from the REAL early teens! I revised the subject title appropriately... :D

I need to ask about titles too, but I'll do a search first...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, still want to know about the aftermarket stuff, but I need a title question answered also...

I did a quick search and didn't see what I'm looking for. If I build something with a new S&S shovel motor am I going to get screwed with that new bullshit EPA law?

Next question(s) is... what year were HD's title up to w/out frame numbers? If not frame numbers, what's keeping me from dropping an "earlier" motor in another frame of any kind if only the engine numbers are important? For example... if I bought, let's say a '57 Pan motor and dropped it in a Santee or Paughco frame with no numbers am I looking for title troubles or is it still safe as a 57 HD?

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
there is a ton of stuff out there. order a vtwin catalog (free) while you are at it. good to have around and I believe Trent can get you stuff from there at a good price.

·
Banned
538 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Great link! Thanks Tom!

So what about aftermarket top ends and hop up parts for these motors?
That is endless,in the "what fits what" theer are a few motor builds
and it basically states what is better given your needs.Superiour has great whole motors ( course I don't know if theer still around)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like S&S makes a bottom end for a Knucks on up. A 3-1/2 bore is available, but didn't see rather or not they sold jugs, heads, and rocker boxes (and guts of course) for the Knuck and Pan. They make everything for a repop Shovel. Still... it's all repop and may complicate titling. I want to avoid this EPA, "special build" crap.

I know a couple people here that might be able to locate and early Knuck, Pan, or shovel, but they would be a mish-mosh of pieces and wouldn't have a title. Still researching what they got and they are the "slick" type, so I want to make sure I know what the hell is going on before I talk to them.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Looks like S&S makes a bottom end for a Knucks on up. A 3-1/2 bore is available, but didn't see rather or not they sold jugs, heads, and rocker boxes (and guts of course) for the Knuck and Pan. They make everything for a repop Shovel. Still... it's all repop and may complicate titling. I want to avoid this EPA, "special build"
You want rock solid aftermarket stuff?

Knuckleheads? - Flathead Power

Panheads? - STD

Bottom ends? - S&S

Pan and Knuckle barrels? - Axtell and Hyperformance

The five biggest things you need to know and watch during your builds, when you mix&match from year to year - say for example, a Knucklehead top end on a Cone bottom end - is oiling (feed and return), pushrod angles, compatible cam grinds, rocker arm ratios, and piston heights.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good tips Rich! Thanks! Also, thanks for the quick supplier list. I will look at those. I've been thinking heavily about the S&S bottoms. They sound like a good way to go. I'm curious to see how Maurice's Shovel motor works out. I may explore that route also.

I'm interested to see what that book "what fits what..." has to say. Sounds like it's pretty good!
Irish Rich said:
You want rock solid aftermarket stuff?

Knuckleheads? - Flathead Power

Panheads? - STD

Bottom ends? - S&S

Pan and Knuckle barrels? - Axtell and Hyperformance

The five biggest things you need to know and watch during your builds, when you mix&match from year to year - say for example, a Knucklehead top end on a Cone bottom end - is oiling (feed and return), pushrod angles, compatible cam grinds, rocker arm ratios, and piston heights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts