Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just something i've been thinkin about. they seem quite simple. not to say it would be easy to build, but the concept and engineering seems quite simple.

anyone done it?? got pics of any? could you just use a coil over shock?

lets get some chatter goin on the idea. toss some ideas/ info and pics around on the subject.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My wife (mansriun) is using a 39' dkw girder frontend on her bsa chop, I can measure it and give any info that any one wants. It's pretty damn cool looking. Let me know, I'd like to see one of our designer/engineer type guys blueprint it up, for use on a future bike.

jabber

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jabber said:
My wife (mansriun) is using a 39' dkw girder frontend on her bsa chop, I can measure it and give any info that any one wants. It's pretty damn cool looking. Let me know, I'd like to see one of our designer/engineer type guys blueprint it up, for use on a future bike.

jabber
39 FOOT!?!?!?!? damn, thats HUGE!!:D

i'd settle for some good close up pics of that front end for right now. if i get to buildin one i will definately want some measurements. i could draft up some plans at that time aswell.

lets see that bike.

thanks...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
It may not be as cool as homemade, but Custom Chrome sell a Donnie Smith girder that's pretty nice. Also, there's some info in the Custom Chopper Cookbook about extending a girder. The Custom Chopper Cookbook is an older book that has some pretty good info on raking frames, extending springers and girders, putting different bearings in star hubs. Some of the stuff is a little crude. but it shows some good, basic ideas. It's Harley stuff, but worth the read even if you're building something else.
Off to the shop.
Larry T

·
Registered
398 Posts
building a girder is not to tuff. the ones that i have made the hardest part was finding the right shoulder bolts for the piviots . and maching the bushings for the shoulder bolts to ride on.

most of the hardware can be found at mcmaster carr catalog along with alot of the tubing.

next one I build is going to be made from stainless to save the cost of chroming.

I will see if i can find some old pictures.

·
Registered
221 Posts
(Disclaimer: I don't know if this is even close to what can be considered the right way, this is just the way I did it myself. I've only been doing this building stuff thing since january so I don't have much experience.)

Heres some older pictures of the one I built, it's a little short for the bike I want it on but I think I can lengthen it.
Basically I just measured my stock tubes, subtracted a couple inches to drop the bike (bad idea the geometry is different so it ended up being too low). I figured a width for what I thought would look good welded some tube together for the basic shape. Now for the hard part the arms that connect the girder to the bike and do the moving. The ends of those I made out of 1/2 inch diameter thick walled tube(can't remember what) I need to get them machined to accept a bushing and put the grease zerks on them. They are 1/2inch deep and are connected by 4inches of 1/4inch plate, the top not finished in the picture is the same as the bottom mount. For the pivot itself I used the same tube and tapped it for a 1/2inch bolt with a little over 1/2inched of non threaded area at the top for the bushings to ride on. For a shock I'm using a mystery rear shock. Dunno If it will work well and how it rides but thats about it.

Primo
All suggestions, comments and criticism welcome.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unkl Ian said:
Some guys,like Jesse Rooke,are using a Mountain Bike coil over shock

on their Girder front ends.
good idea. keep em comin everyone. don't forget. pics are worth a thousand words. detail pics especialy.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
How about building a girder using Ford radius rods for legs? If they're stout enough to extend springers, they should work on a girder too. Has anyone done it? Sounds like something Hank Young might try.
Larry T

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Larry T said:
How about building a girder using Ford radius rods for legs? If they're stout enough to extend springers, they should work on a girder too. Has anyone done it? Sounds like something Hank Young might try.
Larry T
thats a killer idea and just my style. i'm gonna look into it and see what parts i can come up with on the cheap. i tore the bike apart today. first it gets a new tail section. then i build the (shortened) girder front end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts