Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry. Just got some bearings and a spacer from Teach to convert my spool rim to a 3/4" axle. (thanks) After spacing everything and figuring what size spacers to use I had to go to the Savannah Harley Dealership ----I usually would order from Custom Chrome, MidWest, etc., but I wanted to ride today and didn;t have the right lengths in my spacer bin.

Go to the Dealership parts counter, ask for what I need....he asked what model, I told him a rigid with a spool wheel...he looked confused. Bottom line and the point of my bitch.....they didn't have any fucking spacers, none! No 1/2", No 3/4", No 1", No 1 1/2"....what the fuck?

But....they did have a special on some stuffed kitty cats with leather hats and harley bandanas. $43.99.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
Try telling them a buell motor in a rigid frame. They are even more confused and this is at a hd/buell dealership.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
same deal over here. i called the HD dealer by me looking for one of those universal solo seat clamps, for the front of the seat.

they were like:
"what year & model is it?"

i said "its a custom built 70 triumph with a hardtail"

them "we dont sell triumphs here"

me "its a universal part for custom bikes"

them "i cant look anything up that isnt for a late model HD"

i feel your pain, that place has more stupid fucking HD mugs, clocks, stuffed animals, towels, blankets, toiler paper cozys, & butt plugs than they do bikes or even accessories.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Las Vegas Harley is the WORST for that kind of thing... but actually they will have the part usually, it just depends on if they like you or not as to rather or not you're going to get it.

Went to ours one time looking for some seals for an early sporty front end I used to have on my Trump, but didn't know what I needed and really needed to see a parts book to decifer what was what. The guy asked what the bike was... it was all down hill from there. Let's just say, I got a photocopy of the wrong page and a "have a nice day"... A-holes!

·
Registered
801 Posts
This has happened to me many a time. In need of some stupid little nothing part ASAP and not wanting to wait for CCI, etc. to ship it. End up going to the dearlership and finding that they have jack squat for parts. Just a lot of junk. I also went in recently to price out a set up damper rods for a set of 39mm fork legs. I got the same "what year and model" question. When I explained that I got the sliders online, the tubes at a swap meet, and the caps from a friend...the guy just looked dumb founded. I understand they do different thnigs at the dealership, but i thought the tech guys would at least know bikes.

Here's another interesting bit of info...a kid i know just graduated from MMI in Orlando (in case you don't know, this is the tech school that is officially endorsed by HD - $20k for an intense 1 year motorcycle technician education). Evo motors are know considered "early model" over there.

·
Registered
625 Posts
usually if there is a new guy.. he is given to me by the part manager
i have a ball messin with thenewbie's heads..
the parts guys that know me just watch and laugh... sorta a hazing i guess.
i cuss and yell and tell them they dont know a damn thing just get me a friggin pencil and a piece of paper and i'll write the # down...lol
the parts manager said i was the best teacher he had...

they did go ahead and buy me a new parts book since the old one was held together with rust bailing wire but i kinda miss the unreadible greased out part #'s

butche

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spool Wheel...no brakes. That is what is gonna fit. Is it a Paugcho?

ratrodshrum said:
You dont even want to know what I am going through to find a wheel to fit my narrow springer. I have talked to people like crazy trying to find out something narrow enough. Its like going to Oreillys.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Devils Advocate time.

Do you go to the Chevrolet dealership and ask for Edelbrock parts? This is the same deal. And if you think this is something new, I remember when you couldn't even get waited on in the Harley dealership if you rode a chopped bike back in the 60's and 70's. If you need custom parts you need to check with a custom parts dealer, even if they're your competition.

In the dealers defense, I've never had them cop an attitude if I took the time to look up the part number. If you don't know what you're looking for, how are they. You gotta know how to work the system.

My real bitch with "the factory" is their "obsolete after 10 years" policy.

Back to work,
Larry T

·
Registered
257 Posts
Similar story, happier ending.

I bust the clutch lever on my XT500 chop a while back. Took the bits to a couple of dealers with big shiny showrooms, had the usual 'What model? What year?' crap, no help but one of them suggested I go to the Motocross shop down the road. The place was crammed full of off road stuff and there were about half a dozen greasy teenagers watching loud MX videos. I showed the kid behind the counter the broken bits and he disappeared behind the shelves to look in his odd levers box. 10 minutes later he returns with an exact match. The price? £6.50 (about $10). There are some good guys out there!!:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
sojerscraper said:
i feel your pain, that place has more stupid fucking HD mugs, clocks, stuffed animals, towels, blankets, toiler paper cozys, & butt plugs than they do bikes or even accessories.
Speaking of pain... Why'd they have to put a raised Harley logo on the butt plugs?

You certainly can dress yourself like a clown in them places...

·
Registered
43 Posts
just remember guys that the parts folks don't have to have any knowledge now days. The computer holds everything for them. Most of those guys can't even change thier own oil.(the ones i've met anyways).

there is always the rare case of the old guy that has built it and rides it...he understands.

oh yeah, i work at a shop!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Crappedout said:
just remember guys that the parts folks don't have to have any knowledge now days. The computer holds everything for them.
Exactly!

So, MikeV, you know what you do before you go to the dealership looking for spacers?

You get your CCI, or Drag, or Midwest catalog, open the catalog up to the page that has the spacers, find your right size spacers, and before the CCI or whatever catalog number, is the H-D OEM part number in brackets (XX-XX0000 ).

You write that number down, go to the dealer part counter, and have the parts guy punch that number in. When he does, he'll be shocked to find out he DOES have those spacers in bin J-26 in his parts rack.

NEVER go to the parts counter at a dealership without a part number, and expect the people to know what you're talking about. If you do, what happened to you will happen again, and again, and again..........

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
During the Floodrun in Minnesota last year we all rode down from Fargo. I had two big chunks out of my rear tire that I discovered once I got there the night before. I called Twin city HD and asked them if they could mount a tire if I yanked the wheel off my bike in their parking lot. They asked the year and I responded with 1973. "Oh., we don't sell parts to anything older than 1986." They suggested I try somewhere else. In other words, they wanted me to ride my bike down the road in an unsafe condition because of their policy. Fuck them and all other HD dealers. It's the same GD tire!! I took my bike the the kawasaki/BMW (Leo's) shop who gave me a great deal on a tire, let me use their parking lot to take my rear wheel off and let me clean up in their room when I was done. I'm buying all my tires from them from now on. The Fargo HD shop is the same way. All they cater to is electric start only evo on up bikes. Hell, my newest HD is a 1983 which I've had since 1984 and I used to buy parts way back when from them but they don't cater to them now. They have a good parts guy bt I don't go their anymore. HD has totally alienated their core group of customers who kept them afloat back when they were having problems.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
And, I forgot to say, most dealers have the CCI and Drag catalogs at the counters, along with their parts books.

Also, if the dealer doesn't have a part in stock, they can get right to their "all-data" base, and tell you which other dealer in town has them in stock, and the next closest dealer in another city that has them in stock, and how many they have.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I feel your pain! That's why i quit working for HD! Even as service manager it was like pulling teeth to get shit for my own ride let alone for someone building a chop! The corporate attitude, lack of tech support for any bike equipped with anything other than HD parts (a quote recieved from one of the corp reps was "you can't make an apple pie with rubarb" made the job an absolute headache. Well enough whining & support those that support you!-Cheif

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mike V said:
Sorry. Just got some bearings and a spacer from Teach to convert my spool rim to a 3/4" axle. (thanks) After spacing everything and figuring what size spacers to use I had to go to the Savannah Harley Dealership ----I usually would order from Custom Chrome, MidWest, etc., but I wanted to ride today and didn;t have the right lengths in my spacer bin.

Go to the Dealership parts counter, ask for what I need....he asked what model, I told him a rigid with a spool wheel...he looked confused. Bottom line and the point of my bitch.....they didn't have any fucking spacers, none! No 1/2", No 3/4", No 1", No 1 1/2"....what the fuck?

But....they did have a special on some stuffed kitty cats with leather hats and harley bandanas. $43.99.
Obviously didn't go to the service department...if you go there instead of messing with the counter help you would of gotten what you wanted...I do it here all the time and never had a problem actually have a good relationship with one of the biggest harley dealers in Wisconsin...try that next time it will work...later Chaz

·
Registered
886 Posts
Had the same problem when I was building my 69 Triumph. I had a 77-84 Sporty fork and I needed rubber brake lines and my reg store didn't have them in stock so I ride over to the HD stealership and try to tell these guys that I need brake lines for a 77-84 fork. The guy goes well what year and model is it. I say again just look up 77-84. The guy goes I need a model so I tell him it's a 69 Triumph with a Harley fork. He gets all bent and tells me they don't have it and I will have to special order. Yea right! Went back to my reg shop and ordered. All in all I rode for a week with no front brakes. Have not been back there in 5 years.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts