Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
So a base model Sporty has a MSRP of eight grand and the 72 is going for over ten.
What exactly is the other three grand getting me?

Oh yah, More biker attitude!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Many discussions about the 72 Sportsters. But they were made in 72. The new crap is just that. Jap imitations, no more than that.

·
Registered
944 Posts
So a base model Sporty has a MSRP of eight grand and the 72 is going for over ten.
What exactly is the other three grand getting me?

Oh yah, More biker attitude!
Well, it's a 1200 for one thing, little more chrome and a metalflake paint option.

As for 'Jap'.. I was just at the Pilgrim Road facility and watch the USA components assembled by union USA workers in the USA.

There's more acceptance here of Chinese parts on an old bike than Japanese electrics on a new one.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The percentage of American parts on H-D's coming down the assembly line was well over 90% a couple of years ago. May or may not have changed. I've lost my 2 best spies on the inside so can't get new numbers.

Anyways... a lot of replacement parts are foreign, whereas the original part on the bike when new was absolutely American. The bullshit about H-D's being "mostly Jap" or "half Jap" is exactly that.... bullshit.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Sporticus,
If you think those Showa forks constitute even one percent of a completed motorcycle, you're out of your mind. And if you want to call someone a liar, you damn well ought to have some solid info and/or sources to back that kind of bullshit up. Let's hear 'em, or at least have the balls to back off that shit.

Here's mine: The last actual number I had was 92%, 2 years ago, and that number came directly from the head of fleet and police sales at the MoCo (since retired). I've also had many, many friends employed at the MoCo in some pretty interesting positions. I don't rely on internet bullshit.

Showa fucking forks. People like you make my ass hurt.

G

·
Harley has seven models using the Sportster motor...
There effort is to fill the gaps in what the buyer wants in a new bike..

A ready made Chop.

Kinda reminds me of the first FX when Harley took the beloved FL and at the time Willie G made a chop out of it....

Take a look at the Sportster's from yesteryear's .... Just two models was available. The public wanted more choices. Hence the birth of Chop Shops.

The 72 and the 48 models is just that....A ready made chop.

I like it...Not all that fond of the whitewalls....But it grows on me..:cool:

.........Long live the Sportsters..........

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
174 Posts
Lets see the Japanese copied American, improved horsepower, electronics, fork design then American copied the Japanese so whats American and whats Japanese. If a American company copies and improves a Harley design, whats the difference if a Japanese company copies and improves a Harley design. If you are building a custom bike who cares where the parts come from. Unless you are building (or assembling) a custom bike from new parts than the argument can be made about American workers, but then you are a assembler not a builder. Just to many rules for me, build a bike to suit yourself who cares what country the parts come from my .02 cents

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.