Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
choppercopper1 said:
Since I need a tranny for the VL project why not get a 4 in a 5 for the Shovel and put the 4 that is in the Shovel in the VL. Anyone ever use? Is it worth the extra $$$$? Thanks
:confused: if your gonna have a 4 speed in a 5 speed case why not just a good ol four speed in a 4 speed case?

Do you mean the 5 speed in a 4 speed case?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Well, if you're going to do it, don't even think about the RevTech 5 in a 4. I've used those twice, and I refuse to put them in another client's bikes.

Both times I had the same problems. The main gear threads for the sprocket stick out past the sprocket nut far enough to where I had to shim the starter plate out so the main gear threads wouldn't chew the fuck out of the mainshaft bearing in the starter plates. Once you do that, you have to be careful that the clutch basket won't dig into the face of the plate. Both cases had the flats milled where the tranny mounting studs screw into milled up so far I had to shim the pads between a 1/16-1/8" to get the trans to align and sit level.

Both of them had the kickers, too, and that makes the throwout arm totally useless getting a cable to, because RevTech doesn't put the threaded "L" bracket for the clutch cable on the top cover like Harley did on the early 5sp to route the cable to the throwout arm. I had to fab throwout arms for both trannys, one a hand clutch, one a foot clutch.

If you're thinking of doing a 5 in a 4 trans, get either the Sputhe or the S&S 5 in a 4 case, and get a good donor early '84-back 5sp trans from a FXR or a FLT, and use the gearsets and various parts from it to complete the transmission.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Isn't the ratio for 4 gear for the 4 speed the same as 5th gear for the 5 speed? I don't see any advantage except more gears to shift through if your building a stripped down bike. Now if your building a bagger, that's different...
If it was me, I'd keep it simple - and cheap!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Creepinogie said:
Isn't the ratio for 4 gear for the 4 speed the same as 5th gear for the 5 speed? I don't see any advantage except more gears to shift through if your building a stripped down bike. Now if your building a bagger, that's different...
If it was me, I'd keep it simple - and cheap!
Well, yeah, the final ratios in both the 4sp and the 5sp are 1:1

What the 5sp has over the 4sp is the speed ratios inbetween, that let you take better advantage of the powerband of your engine as you go thru the gears. Where you really notice this is in the 3rd gear drive ratio "family" of a 5sp as you shift up thru to top gear.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If sure that's true, but if the bike is lighter than stock, then your usable powerband has a wider rpm range as it takes less power to move a lighter mass. Maybe I'm full of shit but none of the 5 speeds I've rode impressed me. Course, most of my riding is down the interstate and not banging gears from stoplight to stoplight.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

Did some homework and I think I am going to stay with the 4 speed. It works fine and the bike is running. No need to rip down and play with things now since the season is comming up. If I was going to do this I should have done it in the winter.

·
Registered
773 Posts
haha!
Good call.
I don't know how many times i've pulled something apart thinking that i was going to make it better or fix it, only to freak out and wish i never did it in the first place. Especially when the shit works already...

Like they say...If it ain't broke!

choppercopper1 said:
Thanks for all the replies!

Did some homework and I think I am going to stay with the 4 speed. It works fine and the bike is running. No need to rip down and play with things now since the season is comming up. If I was going to do this I should have done it in the winter.

·
Banned
63 Posts
choppercopper1 said:
Since I need a tranny for the VL project why not get a 4 in a 5 for the Shovel and put the 4 that is in the Shovel in the VL. Anyone ever use? Is it worth the extra $$$$? Thanks
I've run several of the Rev Tech 5 in a 4.. I never run starters, this is where I hear most have issues with them. The only problem I run in to is on high compression motors, you are bound to go through a few kicker gears. Get a harley kicker gear. Also, inside the kicker cover you will get some shavings from shit getting chewed up by the kicker... make sure you drain and flush the tranny several times during break in.

Other than that, they have good to me.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
crocustoms said:
I've run several of the Rev Tech 5 in a 4.. I never run starters, this is where I hear most have issues with them. The only problem I run in to is on high compression motors, you are bound to go through a few kicker gears. Get a harley kicker gear. Also, inside the kicker cover you will get some shavings from shit getting chewed up by the kicker... make sure you drain and flush the tranny several times during break in.

Other than that, they have good to me.
Starter, or no starter, that wasn't the problem area both times.

It was the threads on the main gear being too long, sticking out past the sprocket nut and contacting the starter plate mainshaft bearing. It wasn't the case of the sprocket nut contacting it, like it is in other cases, but the main shaft threads themselves.

Both tranny's main gears wouldn't allow the starter plate (or, motor plate if you wish) to fully seat against the tranny's mounting "ears". Both plate's sealed bearings contacted the mainshaft threads both times, leaving the plates about a 1/16" away from the case ears. One plate was a Tech Cycle, the other time it was a Primo. So, I know it wasn't just the manufacturer of the plate, or the thickness of the bearing.

I can also see this same thing happening with the mainshaft bearing in a stock 4sp OEM-type aluminum inner primary, which this tranny is supposed to be a direct "bolt up" with.

I see on your white/blue bike, you're not running any motor plate, is that one of your bikes with the 5 in a 4 in it? What did you run for a bearing support, and did you have to shim it out?

·
Banned
63 Posts
Irish Rich said:
I see on your white/blue bike, you're not running any motor plate, is that one of your bikes with the 5 in a 4 in it? What did you run for a bearing support, and did you have to shim it out?
I hear ya, I guess I've been lucky. I did have to shim the bearing support on the blue bike. I've got plenty of miles on it and pulled it apart a few times, only the shit in the kicker cover has been an issue. Not that this makes any diff, I pulled off the later model clutch arm and fab'd my own to allow for a rod instead of cable.
I'm gonna spend the xtra cash and drop a baker in my pan though. I have a 5 speed RevTech kicker in my other shovel and 3 years later, its holding up. Like I said, maybe I got lucky.. or maybe my luck is running out HA!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.