Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now a guy i know tells me that you can reverse teh heads on some triumphs so you can put the carbs out front for more space and carb options?Is this a true concept?If yes has anyone done it or seen it done?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Has anyone heard of this?

I don't have a triumph in my garage anymore, to verify, but it does sound like it's a possibility. I would think you may have to reverse your pistons also for valve clearance, and also the camshafts, swap the intake and exhaust to get your lift/duration/timing right... hrm. It's been a while since I rebuilt my one triumph engine, but it was an early 70's unit... I think the head studs were symmetrical, so yeah... sounds like you may be able to give it a go.

Just my $.02

Ben

·
Registered
110 Posts

It can be done, my dad used to talk about doing this in the '70s. I believe you pretty well just switch the cams and turn the head around.

Sounds easy huh, well until you ride it. He told me the problem was cooling. Air cooled engines get hot, and with the exhaust in the back, it get's real hot.

Cory

Ea$y said:
Now a guy i know tells me that you can reverse teh heads on some triumphs so you can put the carbs out front for more space and carb options?Is this a true concept?If yes has anyone done it or seen it done?

·
Registered
154 Posts

Ea$y said:
Here's an old one done by Tom Summers out of Minneapolis-

·
Registered
726 Posts

Ea$y said:
It can be done! I had a '67 Bonni done that way. Very Cool looking, but ran hotter than Hell. Not very smart for a daily rider.

·
Registered
84 Posts

This looks very cool, but after a longer ride i would think the rider could serve his seared balls (or leg of sam) for lunch-- cause i think the heat would have cooked em. In this setup I think the rider will help enclose the heat down there, versus in the front where it's open w/ the wind.

however, it's the pleasure of the experience over the comfort of it huh? :D

-scott noteboom

Faust said:
Here is a pic.,
Ben D.'s bike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Triumph carbs in the front?

I saw about half a second of video of a 650 unit that had the carbs on the front and the pipes in the back. It seems to me like there would be a lot more of those if it is easy to do. Do you have to fabricate much or change much to do that? Has anyone ever done it?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.