Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i soaked a 35 year old carb in gunk carb medic for 2 days - the slide was still varnished in solid and so was the main jet and bowl drain bolt - would not budge - i put a heat gun to and when the carb started smoking everything came out nice and easy - worked excellent - just thought it might help someone with a similar problem

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Heat melts the varnish. I boil mine in water, and it does the same thing. Even the varnish in the fuel gallies. Only problem is my old lady gets mad when I ruin her cooking pots.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was wondering if boiling them in water would work after i did the heat gun - now i know - am by no description a mechanic - i do the best i can and learn as i go - the varnish flowed out of the fuel galleys when i heated them up - but now i think i'll boil them to be sure - thanks

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
If ya got time, white vinagar works too, ya just gotta let it sit for a coupla days. Oh ya, and ya don't screw up the ol ladys pots and pans eather, when moma's not happy, ain't no one happy!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'd be carefull around the fumes off the carb gunk and heat gun. That carb stuff is pretty bad. The Vineagar works well.

Sixball

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thought vinegar ate aluminum ?
It will over time. I wouldn't soak one for a long time, it doesn't take long for the vinegar to clean it up. I usually soak for a few hours then use a toothbrush, then rinse really well with water and dawn dish soap

Sixball

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i figured as long as i was smoking a cigar the small amount of fumes didn't matter - i can't smell anything when i'm burning one
thanks for the advice

·
Registered
439 Posts
Learned this lesson the hard way after boiling them in simple green for 3 hours drained, rinsed do NOT and i repeat do NOT spray carb cleaner on them in the empty pot on a gas stove. forgot all about that pilot lite and now have 3rd degree burns that cover my hand and 2nd up my arm you guys out west probably heard me screaming like a little girl lol

·
Registered
213 Posts
i'd go to a garage sale and get a pot for cheap (that way you don't have to deal with your old lady) then boil it in water and lemon juice but thats just what i've been told

·
Registered
944 Posts
I use an old crock pot. They are cheap and plentiful at yard sales and thrift shops.
Hank

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ditto...used a $2 crockpot,never quite boiled but let it sit overnite and worked great

·
Registered
399 Posts
I can say for sure vinager will eat aluminum, I was soaking a tank that had an aluminum coler around the fill opening that held the gas lid on and when I removed the tank from the vineger after a couple of days the aluminum was so soft it was like a glob of clay. I didnt care I was going to weld in a pop up style anyways, but I was surprised by it..Like mentioned above a shorter amount of time would be ok I figure but you would have to keep a close eye on it for sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts