Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
myke said:
That is where I want to put mine on my triumph, I was just wondering if there is enough air flow there or too much motor heat.
My Norton's is mounted underneath (forward) the tank. It isn't exactly shielded complely from any airflow, but the engine radiation doesn't seem to bother it.

Here's a pic of the common spot for Commando's (pic from ColoradoNortonWorks)

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
myke said:
I see the ignition control module but not the power box in that picture.

Power box: http://www.oldbritts.com/17_400001.html
I've never run a Boyer 'power box' but I take it to be the solid state regulator/rectifier .. probably what the finned piece is pictured there above the coils ..

the old standard - the Tympanium .. was not even finned, and folks generally stuck them atop the fender under the seat .. I'd imagine a similar setup to this Norton's would be fine ..

another thing, the earliest Boyer setups used to caution against having the components or the wiring of the two systems (charging & ignition) running together or bundled, because the ignition 'brain' would be faked out by pulses in the charging ..

they must have overcome that in modern times because I see many folks clustering them together like this ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have mine mounted down under the motor and the finned rectifier mounted off the seat post.No problems with mine at all....Small box in photo is module and just below is my power wheels battery and to the left of module not able to be seen is the finned rectifier mounted out in the air for cooling but yet easily unseen....Was going for the look of no battery but with the reliablity of the boyer and first kick starts.....

Shoe

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
The finned object in the picture of the CNW Norton is a 3 phase Sparxs rec./reg. & also Boyer ignition module.

With the Boyer Power Box (in above link from Old Brits), you don't need a battery. This unit is more like the old Mity Max than a Tympanium, in that you can eliminate the battery if you want, and it does the same task as the Typanium- rectify/regulate alternator output.

Sorry I can't answer your question Myke, I installed my Boyer Power box under the battery tray on my Triumph. Did mount the Boyer ignition module under the tank, as above. No problems so far.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I would do something to ensure good airflow, especially if you're going to be doing urban-ish riding in the summer. I believe the power box is a transistorized system is it not. And as such transistors can be susceptable to heat damage or interference at the least. Just a pre-cautionary statement.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts