Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was kickin it around thinkin about tryin to build a side hack for one of my brit bikes.Just curious to see if anyone has built one and had sucessful with it.I want to try yo build it myself but i also want it to be safe and functional.Any comments,plans or input would be cool,.
Thanks Shoe

·
Registered
287 Posts
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
I was kickin it around thinkin about tryin to build a side hack for one of my brit bikes.Just curious to see if anyone has built one and had sucessful with it.I want to try yo build it myself but i also want it to be safe and functional.Any comments,plans or input would be cool,.
Thanks Shoe
No, but I think about it nearly every day. I'd love to take my kids with me every now and again...

·
Registered
177 Posts
one thing's for sure, building it yourself is gonna be crazy, but it'll be cheaper than buying one!
I'll try to find a phone number for ya...this guy out here is the GURU of sidehacks...plenty of UK ones too. I'll post it when I find it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,my main concern is 1.attachment ?best way2.Tracking or ride?3.And am i gonna need a brake on the hack wheel.

Shoe

gsglbc said:
one thing's for sure, building it yourself is gonna be crazy, but it'll be cheaper than buying one!
I'll try to find a phone number for ya...this guy out here is the GURU of sidehacks...plenty of UK ones too. I'll post it when I find it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't think it would be that hard ... If I remember right, the old HD's clamped over the frame tubes , and skipped the extra brake. They did have a set up to flatten the rake out for better slow steering / maneuvering .... See if I can find anything in my books ....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Somethings things i was told by a Ural dealer was that you want a 1 inch toe in on the front of the hack and the bike about a 3 degree lean away from the hack. I have a old 60s-70s single fiberglass sidecar that i have been running on my xs 650 for about 4 years. Its mainly for winter riding and the dogs love it. I'm in the process of buying a digital camera this week and i'll try to post some pics of the frame and mounting brakets. The hack frame is pretty simple as are the mounting hardware. You have all sorts of choices for the body , aluminum,thin gauge sheet metal, wood, fabric. Its defenitly fun to ride a sidehack. let us know how it goes. Gregg

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pics would e cool I am just looking for ideas for a starting point .
Thanks Shoe
greggski said:
Somethings things i was told by a Ural dealer was that you want a 1 inch toe in on the front of the hack and the bike about a 3 degree lean away from the hack. I have a old 60s-70s single fiberglass sidecar that i have been running on my xs 650 for about 4 years. Its mainly for winter riding and the dogs love it. I'm in the process of buying a digital camera this week and i'll try to post some pics of the frame and mounting brakets. The hack frame is pretty simple as are the mounting hardware. You have all sorts of choices for the body , aluminum,thin gauge sheet metal, wood, fabric. Its defenitly fun to ride a sidehack. let us know how it goes. Gregg

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think a sidecar would be cool, but i kinda like my old lady riding behind me with her legs wrapped around. Makes me all tinglely inside.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gotta have sumpin to bring to spring thaw next year thats different.Gotta have some where for my daughter "busy shoes" to ride at ocasionally.

Shoe

jstorm said:
I think a sidecar would be cool, but i kinda like my old lady riding behind me with her legs wrapped around. Makes me all tinglely inside.

·
Registered
44 Posts
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
Gotta have sumpin to bring to spring thaw next year thats different.Gotta have some where for my daughter "busy shoes" to ride at ocasionally.

Shoe
Yeah, thats true. I forget about the youngins riding since mine has quite a few more years before he can ride. maybe by then i will be ready for a side car.

·
Registered
361 Posts
one of the first things i did when i found out we were having a baby was if the baby seat would fit in the hack. It fits just fine, now we are just waiting for the baby to decide when it wants to be born any day now. Hacks are cool, you really need to build one and make a tech series ouut of it. Gregg

·
Registered
177 Posts
heya Terror-- here's that sidecar guy's info....

Doug Bingham
15838 Arminta St., Unit 25 - Van Nuys, CA 91406-1924
(818) 780-5542

sidestrider.com

My pals say he's a weirdo....enjoy!

·
Registered
936 Posts
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
Thanks,my main concern is 1.attachment ?best way2.Tracking or ride?3.And am i gonna need a brake on the hack wheel.

Shoe
I, too, have thought on this. Maybe we can pass around some ideas. I have a brakeless wheel I was planning on using, figure unless you get the pressure values the same on all wheels, the side hack brake could cause undue torsion and directional twist.

Was also thinking on using half leaf springs for suspension and re-inforce linkage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I have built 3 different sidecars. First I built a sidecar to enable my dog to come with me. As I had never built one before I built the first one as a sort of proof of concept. They have/are all articulating/leaning sidecars, to save money I built the first one out of an old metal bedframe and 2 metal trash cans welded end to end. The first one cost me less then 50$, second 300$ and the one I'm currently driving 500$.
The one thing that will affect how your sidecar handels is weight, all of mine have weighted under 100lbs, because of this I have never needed to put a brake on my sidecars.
If you have any questions let me know.
I would attached pictures with my sidecars but only have an iPhone ( I haven't figured out how to work the picture posting from it).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts