Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Harley wiring 101???

In the vein of the great "triumph chopper wiring 101" thread, i would like to be schooled on the evo wiring set up. Those were good diagrams in that other thread. Most of the factory harness was butchered and i've pieced together what i need, but i want to go back and do it all correctly and bomb-proof.

Its a 91 FXR, S&S evo, head/tail/brake lights, elec. start from key, (no buttons), and a hi-low beam switch. Oh, and a mini-tach light.
Yeah, it ain't a chopper, but when the swingarm bikes are all the hot-shit, mine will rule..HAHAHAHA!

Grassy-ass!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Re: Harley wiring 101???

Thanks guys. forgot about this thread and now we've got some diagrams!
right on...
still haven't done my wiring but i'm feeling much better about it.

******...Crane Hi-4.

****** said:
stock ignition module?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got done with (I'll say it) a beautiful wire job on an old ironhead. The diagrams that I found didn't help me much, matter of fact, I ended up burning up a solenoid because it is mounted upside down on my bastard year bike.

I say just sit down with each component and study it to find out what wire does what. Make GOOD grounds and wire it. After you figure it out (and run it), cut it all down to size and heat shrink it.

I used a john deer key (SO EASY..50 bucks) and I have an internal rectifier in my generator. I also have an old spyke ignition that really took some time to figure out, but I did it, and in the end, I threw away all of the wire diagrams I collected and drew my own. I use 30 amp fuses going out of the battery and 30 amp ones coming back in. Throw away all of the blinker crap and the idiot lights and you'll have a clean bike and a better undersanding of the electric.

Chad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts