Jockey Journal Forum banner

harley transmission choice

4K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Hogridenfool 
#1 ·
I have a fairly stout evo and screwed the trickshift 6 speed up. I am looking at the ultima 6 speed but have heard some bad things about them locking up and bearings going out all the time. My other choice is a used harley 5 speed. I would miss the extra gear, but would rather not die from a cheap tranny locking up again. Any of you have any experience with these?

#7 ·
I've got an Ultima 6 behind my 120, so far so good. I like Baker, but I can buy half a dozen Ultima's for the price of one Baker.
This reminds me of a old saying, yeah I know, us old greybeards use the old sayings a lot, but they are usually rooted in truth.

"If you can't afford to do it right the first time, what makes you think that you can afford to do it twice???"

Yeah, the Baker may cost a lot more, but if you go get a bike, do you get the Fucgo cheapie, or the Harley? Not to mention, sending your money to China, instead of keeping it here. But then, us old greybeards would probably look for a old ratchet top 4 speed, because it is original Harley.

Reactions: db13
#8 ·
unless you buy something like a Baker with an overdrive gearing on the sixth gear, then four, five or six speed, you're still getting a top gear 1:1 ratio. you're just changing how much you shift.

i've gotta go with Shovithead on 2 points. 1, i'd rather give several times the price of the cheap Chinese crap to have something that i can have confidence in. whether it be a tranny, tools, or whatever. 2, the Harley four speeds are rock solid, proven and hard to beat.

-dan

#9 ·
shovit and budoka got it right! I'm an old greybeard that don't mind some new stuff so I'm thinkin' the overdrive Baker's gotta' be nice for mileage and smoothness. That said, I got stock H-D 5-speeds on my Twin Cam and my hot-rod Evo mutt and never had a problem with either one. I did have a RevTech 100 with their 5-speed. Never had any trouble with the tranny but sold both with about 6-7000 miles on 'em 'cause I wanted to ride an H-D, not a Korean copy.

whack

#11 ·
I missed where he said baker was an option....?

The harley 5 speed is better quality and less issues stock. Ive ridden bikes with ultima and for the money, they aren't my cup of tea.

But IF baker was an option....

#12 ·
5 speed here with a grain of salt.

If you're buying used, then watch out for the early ones. Countershaft 5th and main drive gear are about a 1/4" narrower than the later ones. I think the service bulletin to change that was around '82 or '83?

I have had mine for 23 years in my '82 FXRS and have beat the ever loving dog shit out of it since day 1. In that time, 2 broken gears(the old thin main drive gear and countershaft 5th) bent one main shaft, broke 3 throwout arms, and cracked one door and one housing. I run a full set of the atlas springs, with an extra plate clutch, and an aluminum pressure plate.

I have upgraded to the Andrews gear set and shafts, sputhe billet door and have been trouble free since. I have also made my own throw out arm using a broken HD one. A bit of weld, a lot of filing to eliminate stress risers, and its rock solid now. Next upgrade for me is the carllini torque plate. I keep ripping the motor away from the inner primary. Did I mention I like wheelies?

#13 ·
RE: my post #9--nothin' against S Korea--they're one of our allies and manufacture many good products. I just like ridin' the real deal.

Seems like I heard somethin' about Baker ( maybe somebody else ) comin' out with a 7-speed tranny. Anybody else hear somethin' like this?

I read a tech article somewhere about why it wouldn't work, but I think a 6-speed with 5th and 6th both overdrives would be a slick set-up, havin 6th be real tall for high speed-high MPG Interstate ridin'.

#14 · (Edited)
I have had no problems with retech trannys I just put one in my bike. I know at least 5 others running same with no problems. Harley 5 speeds are plentiful check on swap meet or better yet go to one. I see them all the tim cheap. early Harley 4 speeds bring dealer cost of revtech and then it's wore slap out and needs to be rebuilt. Then the only thing not made in china is the case and lid.

#16 · (Edited)
I worked at a custom shop. We used ultima for a while and they were whiny. Switched to baker and the shifting didn't feel sloppy. I'd rather use harley for both price and reliability.

As previously stated, the 6th gear is the same final drive ratio stock so you don't have to use the extra gear. I prefer 4-speeds for that reason. With any of them you can adjust your sprockets to tune for how you ride. Gear sets are more expensive and upkeep is the same across the board.

Hope this helps more.

#20 ·
Wow guys, This is what I got :

Baker is the best, USA made and rock hard.... I just don't got it and I just won't wait to ride long enough to get it.

Harley 5 speed is the second best.... Little weaker but still USA?, and should be okay if running a chain drive. (most likely what I do)

Ultima 6 speed... not as good but nobody has experienced any real problems. They are noisy and thats it.

I was asking about the ultima because I have been told that they can go through bearings, and can lock up. I had a "bullet proof" stock 4 speed lock up on the highway and try to kill me a couple years ago. It was not fun, so I would rather not do it again.

I was told by a local bike shop that they "have not had to work on many ultima's, but stay away from the rev techs because they are always breaking down." And the same guy said his friend had the ultima freeze on his friend at highway speeds and laid him up to the point he may not walk. Again, does not sound fun.

Thank you for all the comments and collective experience. It is appreciated.

#21 ·
Now guys im 100% Buy American , But have any of you actually run a baker ??? Ive Seen more broken Bakers , gears and bent shifter shafts and fucked up forks , then any other mfg ... So for the money i would go with a stock 5speed and change the gearing accordingly . I Like the ultima cases cause there cast here and then build an andrews gearset if the money is there

#22 ·
I had same problem 2 ultima transmissions the shifting lever it broke one has over 30,000 on it the other has 9000 on it,I have a revtech 5 speed in a 4 speed case in my sons shovelhead so far so good but he has'nt hammered on it really hard yet.
I have a 2009 electraglide classic the trans in that makes more noise than anything I've ever heard I was told by 2 dealers ITS NORMAL shifting gears it clangs ????
It has a 7 year warranty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.