Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a good chance I'll be getting stationed in Italy (Sardinia, Specifially). My original game plan was to leave my FLH project at my mom's place while I was gone. I found two cool shops (one pretty local, the other one less so). Anyone know how expensive parts are over there (Italy and europe in general). How hard is it to get stuff from company's like Baker Transmissions and S&S? How scarce are pre-evo OEM parts?

·
Registered
344 Posts
dunno about italy, but i live in the UK and used to work in a harley shop, obviously evo stuff is easy, but generally most things are okay, Custom Chrome etc... are based in Germany so ship times arn't too bad depending on what you need. S.S can usuaully be sourced throught someone like this as with baker. Import duty (dunno if you get free export in forces?) is massive, shipping becomes a whole different ball game... But yea everything is more expensive! all depends on what parts your after...

if you get stuck, [email protected] - i'll try and hook you up.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moonshiners said:
dunno about italy, but i live in the UK and used to work in a harley shop, obviously evo stuff is easy, but generally most things are okay, Custom Chrome etc... are based in Germany so ship times arn't too bad depending on what you need. S.S can usuaully be sourced throught someone like this as with baker. Import duty (dunno if you get free export in forces?) is massive, shipping becomes a whole different ball game... But yea everything is more expensive! all depends on what parts your after...

if you get stuck, [email protected] - i'll try and hook you up.
Thanks man! It seems like everything is more expensive in Europe except traveling. We get a brake on the import/export stuff because the ship and the military base is considered soveriegn US territory (like an embassy). But if I had it shipped to my local address in the community I would have to do all the customs stuff, which I hear is really high in Italia because they want to support Italian manufacterers.

I might wait and buy something cool while I'm over there. I would love to have an old cafe racer, especially a "real one" that was modified in the 50's or 60's.

·
Registered
344 Posts
hey bud no worries...

if your after a real cafe racer, head over to blighty, hit the ace cafe running with a fistfull of greenbacks and you'l come up with something... i could call a couple guys too...

shipping in europe obviously costs, but there's no import just re-registration, as long as it's previously registered roadworthy (MoT) and you have all the papers this shouldn't be much of a problem... depening on how you rego it... but then i guess would be the same as if you bought something in Italy.

Generally, italians ride crotch rockets and mopeds... a hell of alot of mopeds... sweeping statement but pretty true. if you want a real brit cafe come over to the island... you can keep it here if you need to while you arrange shipping...

what ever you do goodluck, but if i were you i wouldn't ship something over from the US to try and build here... it just costs to damn much, not so bad for service parts etc... but if your looking at baker and s&s, you'd could have bought a cafe racer before your parts even landed...

·
Registered
944 Posts
I sent a Sportster fender to an LT in the Air Force in Italy. Shipping was FPO, think it cost around $9.00 to send it viz Post Office. He's building a couple of bikes, but gets most of his parts from the states.
Uses the base shop for his welding, etc.
Hank

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apehanger Hank said:
I sent a Sportster fender to an LT in the Air Force in Italy. Shipping was FPO, think it cost around $9.00 to send it viz Post Office. He's building a couple of bikes, but gets most of his parts from the states.
Uses the base shop for his welding, etc.
Hank
One advantage to being a shipfitter in the Navy is access to some of the greatest chopper building tools ever made. Especially since most of our big equipment is the same shit rosie the riveter used :) FPO shipping is another great perk.

I know enough scooterists to hopefully make enough money exporting Lambretta and Vespa stuff to pay for my Harley stuff. Now I just need to find out if I'm going over there or not. Otherwise I'll be here or Virginia till 2008.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts