Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if they have different sized CV Carbs? Just wondering if a CV from a Sportster Inlet diameter is smaller than one from a Softail CV? Does anyone happen to know? Is there any CV's that have a 44mm diameter to the manifold?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
the sporty and Bigtwin are 40mm, you need the screeming eagal 44mm CV, takes a diferent manifold and intake seals pluss intake spigot rubber.....And the slide/diafram is allso this carb only...........Roach.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the sporty and Bigtwin are 40mm, you need the screeming eagal 44mm CV, takes a diferent manifold and intake seals pluss intake spigot rubber.....And the slide/diafram is allso this carb only...........Roach.
Roach do you know if thats how most people are attaching there CV Carbs to Branch manifolds is going with a 44mm CV using a straight through spigot design? And whats the pro's and cons on going with a 44mm CV or a 40mm CV?

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
yes, the cv will give your bike what it needs, just like a SU, jet it to what it wants.......

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, the cv will give your bike what it needs, just like a SU, jet it to what it wants.......
Damn that sucks. This whole time I bought this 40mm CV thinking that this is what I needed to find out Im needing a 44mm CV. Damn should have done more research on it before jumping on it. Well you learn from your mistakes I guess.

Any good suggestions on getting a 44mm CV at a good price? Also how much do you think I can sell the 40mm CV for?

·
Registered
837 Posts
ive got the standard 40mm CV from a late 90s dyna on a Branch intake on my ironhead... even using the same spigot rubber that i was using with the Mikuni i used to run on it.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
your going to have to search Evilbay, and try and get it for a good price so when ya sell the 40mm after you will get your moola back as the 40mm will go fast.......

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive got the standard 40mm CV from a late 90s dyna on a Branch intake on my ironhead... even using the same spigot rubber that i was using with the Mikuni i used to run on it.
How did you get the 44mm spigot onto the 40mm CV? Theres such a big gap between the spigot and manifold? Also it doesnt really tie onto the CV far enough to get a good seat?

·
Registered
837 Posts
hmmm... thinking about it, i think the rubber on mine is a different ID on the intake side and on the carb side.
it's easy enough to pull off, i'll grab some pics of it in the morning...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm... thinking about it, i think the rubber on mine is a different ID on the intake side and on the carb side.
it's easy enough to pull off, i'll grab some pics of it in the morning...
If yours is the stepped spigot 44mm to 40mm can you find out who makes it if it has markings of any sort. I highly doubt it but if you can find out for me that would be great. Im just having a hard time finding a stepped spigot so thats why I was wondering if everyones running a 44mm to 44mm CV and Manifold.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I ran the 40 on my turbo 1210 harley, it supplied plenty of air for the HP, it just didnt have enough fuel bowl, it would suck dry, probably a pingle high flow petcock would help that, I dont know. I swapped to a 42 mikuni and no more fuel del. issues but wanted to note, the little 40 will support the HP within reason but in this case, I would go bigger if you can afford to, if not, it will work.

Damn that sucks. This whole time I bought this 40mm CV thinking that this is what I needed to find out Im needing a 44mm CV. Damn should have done more research on it before jumping on it. Well you learn from your mistakes I guess.

Any good suggestions on getting a 44mm CV at a good price? Also how much do you think I can sell the 40mm CV for?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ran the 40 on my turbo 1210 harley, it supplied plenty of air for the HP, it just didnt have enough fuel bowl, it would suck dry, probably a pingle high flow petcock would help that, I dont know. I swapped to a 42 mikuni and no more fuel del. issues but wanted to note, the little 40 will support the HP within reason but in this case, I would go bigger if you can afford to, if not, it will work.
Thanks for the input. Which Harley models had 44mm CV's on them? Ill probably just go that route than.

I have a 44mm mikuni round VM but Im being told to stay away from it! lol

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the pictures and measurements. Sorry that I made you take the carb off and stuff! So by looking at the spigot it does appear to be a stepped spigot. Give and take from the pictures it looks like your car is 40mm and your Branch is a 44mm.

So the place you got it from was: http://www.sudco.com/Carburetor01.html ?

Next question as TurboRoadster mentioned his would dry up the bowl quickely. Being a turbo application is probably another reason why he needed to go bigger but as for a naturally aspirated ironhead do you think the 40mm Carb is plentyful? Any issues with your setup? And is yours stock or any mods done to it?

·
Registered
837 Posts
i did get it from Sudco.
the cool thing about spigot carbs: only takes about 20 seconds to take 'em off... and i futz with the bike just about daily anyway, so no problem pulling it and measuring.

the Branch is 44mm, the carb is 40mm.

my ironhead obviously isn't a turbo... but it's 11:1, andrews cams, custom/twisty pipes w/lollipops & no baffles. i wring it's neck like homer does bart... and the carb is plenty. i've never ran the bowl dry.

right now it's got 190 & 45 jets in it. seems about perfect.

i've had a bunch of carbs on it... linkert dc, tillotson, mikuni 38, mikuni 40, S&S super E, an SU and this CV. the CV is my favorite as far as daily use goes.

The mikunis each had a better WOT/top end, but seriously sucked to start and quick roll-on acceleration (no accelerator pump). WOT is bitchin', though.

The super E was OK... but dare i say maybe a bit over rated... and i never really got it tuned right. might be good if i spent the time on it.

the tillotson looked awesome and performed well... but was temperamental as could be. plus it's part of my resto XLCH project...

the linkert was just not tuned right...

the SU was rad around town. never sputtered, needed next to no tuning. not as easy starting as the CV. i took it off another project, so it went back.

the CV... by far the easiest starting. roll-on acceleration is great. easily adjustable/tuned. cheap. all around a great carb, i think. it doesn't have the top end that the Mikunis had, but how often do i ride at WOT compared to everything else?
the only drawback that i can see with the CV: it's not a pretty carb... kinda ugly, really. i hide it the best i can behind an early 'CH air cleaner.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i did get it from Sudco.
the cool thing about spigot carbs: only takes about 20 seconds to take 'em off... and i futz with the bike just about daily anyway, so no problem pulling it and measuring.

the Branch is 44mm, the carb is 40mm.

my ironhead obviously isn't a turbo... but it's 11:1, andrews cams, custom/twisty pipes w/lollipops & no baffles. i wring it's neck like homer does bart... and the carb is plenty. i've never ran the bowl dry.

right now it's got 190 & 45 jets in it. seems about perfect.

i've had a bunch of carbs on it... linkert dc, tillotson, mikuni 38, mikuni 40, S&S super E, an SU and this CV. the CV is my favorite as far as daily use goes.

The mikunis each had a better WOT/top end, but seriously sucked to start and quick roll-on acceleration (no accelerator pump). WOT is bitchin', though.

The super E was OK... but dare i say maybe a bit over rated... and i never really got it tuned right. might be good if i spent the time on it.

the tillotson looked awesome and performed well... but was temperamental as could be. plus it's part of my resto XLCH project...

the linkert was just not tuned right...

the SU was rad around town. never sputtered, needed next to no tuning. not as easy starting as the CV. i took it off another project, so it went back.

the CV... by far the easiest starting. roll-on acceleration is great. easily adjustable/tuned. cheap. all around a great carb, i think. it doesn't have the top end that the Mikunis had, but how often do i ride at WOT compared to everything else?
the only drawback that i can see with the CV: it's not a pretty carb... kinda ugly, really. i hide it the best i can behind an early 'CH air cleaner.
Thanks for the input. Since your CV and Manifold is the same setup as mine and you've had no issues with it with your setup for me this shouldnt be an issue at all. Ill just order the stepped spigot from sudco. For cost reasons and for less hassel I'd rather just stick with what I have anyways.

Thanks again for the insight. By the way heads up in my previous thread regarding magneto's I just picked one up! :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
rad- i'm a huge fan of magnetos. nothing but good times with them on bikes i've had. i mess around and change carbs from time to time, but the mag always stays.

i've run it both as fixed and retardable for easier starting. either way actually works pretty well... with the retard it's just a little better on my 11:1 motor... particularly since i'm 5'11 and 150lbs with two pockets full of change and a keychain that'd make any maintenance man jealous.

i think you'll be happy with the CV. do you know how it's jetted at the moment? as a direct take off they're often jetted a bit lean. mine's at 190 & 45... and going a bit richer when my new jets get here. i think it came with 180 & a 40.. something like that, from a late 90s Dyna.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rad- i'm a huge fan of magnetos. nothing but good times with them on bikes i've had. i mess around and change carbs from time to time, but the mag always stays.

i've run it both as fixed and retardable for easier starting. either way actually works pretty well... with the retard it's just a little better on my 11:1 motor... particularly since i'm 5'11 and 150lbs with two pockets full of change and a keychain that'd make any maintenance man jealous.

i think you'll be happy with the CV. do you know how it's jetted at the moment? as a direct take off they're often jetted a bit lean. mine's at 190 & 45... and going a bit richer when my new jets get here. i think it came with 180 & a 40.. something like that, from a late 90s Dyna.
Mines a direct take off so Im assuming the jettings hasnt been tampered with. Whats the best way to see? What would you recommend for me? Motors pretty much stock.

·
Registered
837 Posts
190/45 is a popular place to start. it was just a tad rich when i ran it on a stock/worn 900, but totally livable. i'd rather have a bit rich than a bit lean. too lean cost money when shit breaks.

what do you have for exhaust?
motor worn or tight?
what year is it? (900 or 1000)

know how to read plugs? that's about the single best way of getting the jetting just right, short of dyno time and wideband 02 sensors (along with reading plugs most likely)

OH... and a big thing to not forget: you NEED to support the carb! the spigot mount alone may seem like enough, but it is not.

a backfire through the intake will pop the carb off. chicks laugh when they see that.

it'll vibrate and shake itself off.

it'll vibrate and eventually tear the rubber, but not on the outside where you can easily see it... on the inside, where it'll tear all the way through when you're far from home in the middle of the night and you'll need to hold the carb on with your knee while you limp the bike home.

it'll vibrate enough to aerate the fuel in the bowl, leading to stumbles and lean conditions.

it took all of the above before i finally put a support from the air cleaner bracket to the block. save some headaches and do that right away.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts