Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of used gears off flea-bay for a older harley 4-speed, and when they show up all looks good except for 1st gear bushing. The bushing falls out of gear and the gear spins on the bushing. Does anybody think that a new bushing will be tight in the gear or have the measurment of the gear. Seller said it was supposed to be this way. Just wanting opinions before ordering a bushing or disputing payment options.
Thanks,
Clyco303

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
That is the way it is supposed to fit. They are all like that, not a press fit to either the shaft or the gear!
Robbie

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just going by the old gear set that I was replacing (1946) and the bushing seems to be a press fit. Old gears have lot of pitting. Just learning about harley gears, and didn't look right. Thanks for the info, the new gears are mid 60's so we'll go with them.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
There is a fit tolerance that can run from almost a press fit (you could push it out by hand) to a loose enough to fall out fit. It isn't an issue on low gear. You need to make sure it isn't so loose as to flop sideways when installed with the correct thickness end play shim and the low speed CS shim. The third gear bushing was a bigger problem, and the reason why H-D went to a longer surface steel on steel set-up in '59 to eliminate gear rocking.
Robbie

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Robbie, do you know if I am correct about the older one's being press fit, or is it just cruded up?

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
The previous post I made applies to all back to '36 ELs. I have had tight ones and loose ones, but most area slip fit on both surfaces. I have built 100s of transmissions and have about a dozen right now for my projects and a few spares. Do you have a factory service manual? No need to listen to me if you can read, as it is all in there!
Robbie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts