Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through this forum, there are older threads but not answers I am looking for. Has any one customized this? I am having a rear rigid frame to be built to fit the swing arm 1959 frame and I have found a few concerns. If I am correct, the normal inner diameter of the Triumph rear wheel section is 8' inches. I have an older frame that is unusable. It measures 8' inside wheel diameter. If I go with the 16' wheel, with disc on right (sprocket on left), I have a weird feeling the rear wheel will be offset and cause dog walking down the road. (slightly sideways). Im assuming I'll need 9 inches clearance (inner diameter) for the wheel and disc to fit properly.

Has anyone else attempted this?

· Registered
3,437 Posts
If you want to run a 16" harley rim in a stock rigid Triumph you need to move the rim vs. the Triumph hub over to the left. The same would apply to a Harley rim. Now if your rim is a cast wheel you need to widen the left side of the custom built hardtail
accordingly to accommodate that cast wheel.

· Registered
18 Posts
On my 1st sikl, a '55 6T
(~Triumph 650 T~Bird), it was already chopped, raked, & tail of frame chopped down for 8" struts, and it had a 16" H.D. drop-center rim laced to the Triumph drum brake.
L8r on, I started accumulating parts to do it over my own way... '54 factory Triumph rigid, '30-36 HD VL springer, etc... had to have the longer primary case with '54 frame, as well as all the right motor and gearbox mount plates.
That was the early-to-L8 '90's, back then, Mr.Greg Hult, of Dunlap British
(~advertised in Old Bike Journal then) helped me out, he found the long primaries and all the right motor n gearbox mount plates for me at a swap meet in So-Cal, & I bought em from him.

I understand you already have the HD 16", 1 thought I have with that, a sprotor might be an idea for ya.
(~disc brake on sprocket).. & also, I get that the ,16" is great for "down low" ride, and likely l👀ks nice with chrome
(~as mine was)... yet just another thought...
an 18" aluminum rim n tire would be lighter weight, and a higher highway ratio for the Triumph to "stretch it's legs" better.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On my 1st sikl, a '55 6T
(~Triumph 650 T~Bird), it was already chopped, raked, & tail of frame chopped down for 8" struts, and it had a 16" H.D. drop-center rim laced to the Triumph drum brake.
L8r on, I started accumulating parts to do it over my own way... '54 factory Triumph rigid, '30-36 HD VL springer, etc... had to have the longer primary case with '54 frame, as well as all the right motor and gearbox mount plates.
That was the early-to-L8 '90's, back then, Mr.Greg Hult, of Dunlap British
(~advertised in Old Bike Journal then) helped me out, he found the long primaries and all the right motor n gearbox mount plates for me at a swap meet in So-Cal, & I bought em from him.

I understand you already have the HD 16", 1 thought I have with that, a sprotor might be an idea for ya.
(~disc brake on sprocket).. & also, I get that the ,16" is great for "down low" ride, and likely l👀ks nice with chrome
(~as mine was)... yet just another thought...
an 18" aluminum rim n tire would be lighter weight, and a higher highway ratio for the Triumph to "stretch it's legs" better.
The 18 inch wheel would make things very simple except for the fact that I have a complete front end with a 16 inch wheel on the front. So it’s a bit too late.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts