Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What length hardtail is on my bike? I assuming it is a stock length.

The second picture is how I am going to rebuild it. Should I purchase another longer hardtail?.......leave it the way it is? ......or stretch out the triangle a couple of inches for more room?

I really don't care for the look of the flat spot on the frame (behind the motor) on extended hardtails.

Thanks in advance.

________
house wives Cams

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
myke said:
What length hardtail is on my bike? I assuming it is a stock length.

The second picture is how I am going to rebuild it. Should I purchase another longer hardtail?.......leave it the way it is? ......or stretch out the triangle a couple of inches for more room?

I really don't care for the look of the flat spot on the frame (behind the motor) on extended hardtails.

Thanks in advance.

Myke -

my standard 'mantra' as some may be seeing it,

is that a stock neck & steering geometry, & stock forks setup calls for a short hardtail .. close as stock wheelbase as possible ..

dont know if you can buy ready-made ones less than 2" over, but that 2" will work, for the classic B____er word look .. a stock Triumph gastank works especially well on a scoot setup that way ..

yours may be more like 4" over, IMHO, the 4 & 6" tails only 'work' visually with a raked and/or stretched front and long fork .. for the proportions of a "longbike" ..

my bottom line, it's all about the proportions ..

Great looking start there, tho -

Good luck, and keep us updated ..

Doug ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Funny how the 'B' word has become a PC as the 'N' word! LOL! :D

The Triumph tank and front end in the 2nd picture sure will look better. The Yamaha d/disc front end is probably very functional, but it sure doesn't work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
VA Rebel said:
FYI, the stock length on a sixties T-120 is around 16" from the swingarm pivot to the rear axle C to C, give or take a little for chain adjustment.
Mine measures 22" so I guess it is a 6" extended......I was thinking it was stock length based on the fact there is no straight section behind the motor.

Does my rear triangle look that long?
________
LIVE SEX

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Myke, Everyone has there own opinion on this. I personally like the longer stretched hardtails and know lots of guys prefer the shorter ones like yours. The shorter ones to me just always seem to have the seat at some funky ass high incline or the back seems to be crammed to the rear fender--at least to me. Dont get me wrong Ive seen plenty of shorter rear sections that look nice as well. I think yours is less than a 6"...I only say this because mine is a 6" and seems to be a lot longer than yours with the flat spot you were mentioning....but it looks really good and proportionate on your mock up (which looks awesome by the way) I like what youve done so far on it (alot) So keep plugging away at it and youll have one nice little scoot.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
That's gonna be nice scooter Myke..love the stock tank in combination with the Z-Bars !...No way that's a 6 " longer rear..I like short rear section Triumph's, especially if you got a stock rake on it..

Man with that fan in the background you could be in da wind even on this mockup ! :D

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hey Myke,looks like a 4" over to me.Just enough to be a fine looking scooter when it's done.I'm a big fan of the stock rake hardtails,with a stock tank to let the uneducated know that it's a triumph.Be sure and remove the swingarm lugs (not the rear engine mounts) before you send out for powdercoat/paint.Also get all your brackets welded on.Forgeting a exhaust mount or coil mount is some of those things that will screw up an otherwise easy build.I'm in the process of doing a frame the same way.Best of luck to you,Frosty

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input.

I am lacing my wheels now and I borrowed an empty engine, so I will get a better idea on the next mock up. I will post another pic at that point.

Thanks for the heads up on the mounts.....whoever had it before me cleaned most all the mounts right off it.
________
_KIM_IRIS_

·
Registered
484 Posts
It sure doesn't look like a +6" rear section. Maybe an optical illusion. Don't forget that there is usually drop involved with the stretch.

The 16" measurement I took from a stock T-120. The axle is close to the front of the adjustment slot in swingarm. Swingarm pivot just a little higher (maybe 3/4") than rear axle measuring from ground, so very close to the same horizontal plane.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
VA Rebel said:
It sure doesn't look like a +6" rear section. Maybe an optical illusion. Don't forget that there is usually drop involved with the stretch.

The 16" measurement I took from a stock T-120. The axle is close to the front of the adjustment slot in swingarm. Swingarm pivot just a little higher (maybe 3/4") than rear axle measuring from ground, so very close to the same horizontal plane.
I measured it again and it is 18".......I took the first measurement from the wrong spot.

Thanks again
________
How To Roll A Joint

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.