Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I will be able to replace or repair most of the damage from my accident but this one is beyond my ability to fix. It's the left genie slipper from my Finch springer, I hope you can see it has been bent in two places. One place is, from the tip, to the first rocker stud. the second is the area between the two rocker studs. Can this be straightened?

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Yes you can fix it in a press, use alum blocks or brass.....Roach.

·
Registered
691 Posts
What roach said. Press it straight, cold, with some aluminum so you don't mar it up. I'd put two well fitting 6"-long shafts in the holes (1/2"?) and press it til they measure parallel again.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Without a doubt, you can straighten it. Like Roach said, a hydraulic press is the way to go. You can exert steady, controlled pressure exactly where its needed. If you don't have any aluminum or brass blocks, hardwood blocks work just fine. I find that they are a lot easier to shape for specific applications. I make interchangeable top dies for my press out of 1" grade 8 bolts and shape the heads specifically for the job at hand. They attach via a 1" grade 8 nut that I've welded to the moving beam of the press. The interchangeable dies give me an alternative to simply using a block to apply pressure. If you should run into any problems, I'd be happy to help out. I know you went through a lot of work to put that front end into service on your Triumph, and I'd like to see it back on the road. Good Luck.

Regards,
Geo.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just tried the arbor press I have but couldn't apply enough force.My son has a hydraulic pipe bender I'll try to make that work. I cut some solid aluminum bar stock and ground two sides flat to use as the buffer between the press and rocker.If I cant get the pipe bender to work ,I might take old.wrench up on his offer. Thanks everyone for the input,I'll let you know how I made out.
Marc

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Be happy to help out. I've got a 50 ton press that I built, it will handle most straightening jobs. I'm often amazed at how much force is required to straighten out parts after they've been in a wreck. I've come to think about it as re-creating the accident in reverse. The force created in wreck is sometimes hard to imagine. I've been in a few of them myself, and I've helped bury a few brothers who weren't so fortunate. Ride safe and keep your eyes peeled.

Regards,
Geo.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
littlebike said:
I just tried the arbor press I have but couldn't apply enough force
Yeah, it'd be tough to get that much force on most arbor presses.

Hydraulic press has a bunch of uses. Well worth $125 or so.

Amazon: 12 ton press

This kind of press is likely all most people need. I took a cheap-y and welded up the frame and fly-cut the cross beam on the mill and made a new ram. Result? I've had it for ten years and it's a champ.

Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts