Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a 4-day weekend to figure out what the hell has been going on with my bike lately. I've had clutch problems out the wazoo; destroying clutch baskets and the whole works. Well come to find out some mistakes were made along the way...

While building this bike I measured and measured and measured some more because some things didn't look quite right by the naked eye. I tried the string down the back bone thing and came up good but had no real way of making 100% sure that it was aligned with the motor out.

So now you're thinking "what a dumb ass!" Well, that may be true, and I'm the first to say I've made some errors along the way that I've had to learn the hard way, but this one I want to pass on because of how critical it is.

I purchased an extended hardtail from MAP Cycle Enterprises at the beginning of this build (LOOONG time ago). 4 inch stretch, 3.5 inch drop. Turns out the hardtail was somehow jigged wrong. The structure of the frame itself was straight, but the HOLES were off just enough to swing the rear wheel (and sprocket of course) to the left side about 3/8 to 1/2 an inch. Here's what things look like and should have looked like. Excuse the quick and dirty sketch. Slightly exagerated to make the point also:

The top was what it should have looked like and the bottom was how I discovered it looked. It was just slight enough for it not to be noticable and difficult to spot because the chain was aligned with the rear wheel and the front sprocket was shadowed by the primary, making it hard to see rather or not the chain was tracking correctly on the sprocket. This caused a very slight amount of binding on the chain of course.

Not a huge deal for the fix. Slotting the holes on the right side approximately 1/8" will fix the problem, then I will weld in the part of the slot that doesn't belong so it can't be forced out of alignment under riding load.

So, I'm sacrificing my pride and dignity to pass on my hard lesson on hardtails to the guys just getting started with their Triumph projects. This was my first one and I've learned alot of things the hard way. Don't assume your "professionaly made" hard tail is correct and make sure before you finalize your frame fabrication that you check the entire alignment with the motor in the frame and the entire drive train in place (motor, trans, wheel, sprocket, etc.)! Chain binding will ruin your day down the road! :eek:

I took some pics of how I'm aligning it and of the process I'm taking to fix it. I will post them when I'm all done. Maybe it will make a useful tech article when it's all done for those guys just getting started with their Trumps!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I feel ya........look how my hardtail came......pictured is the lower rails....you`ll notice that the forward mounting holes were mislocated when they were drilled......which means I get to locate them properly and then weld in the excess.....and if those were mislocated,chances are the hardtail section has other errors as well......what a PAIN IN THE ASS

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FUCK! That does suck Slim! Makes me feel a little better than I'm not the only one with problems with these things. If I could do it over again I would order from Wes or Choppahead.

Something is still a little weird with the rear slots/adjuster for the wheel, but I don't think that will be too big of a deal. Just wish these fuckers wouldn't claim to have things "ready to go"... I had to do a shit load of work to get it to fit AND to make it look decent for that matter! I also found it somewhat strange that when they sent it to me they didn't even put it in a box! They just put a tag on it and gave it to UPS!! WTF!!?? Goes to show I guess... For that reason alone I should have done more checking!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everytime I trust fabrication to others I regret it! Sticking with the DIY theory, where practical, from now on!!! The bike came with another hardtail that was narrowed for some strange reason ??? I should have taken that one and just cut it apart and made it work. Then I would have know what was up!! Too little too late! Oh well!
JasonMcElroy said:
Glad you found your problem.

A good lesson for everyone too . . . trust nothing and no one when building a bike.

jason

·
Registered
174 Posts
Glad to know you've finally found the root of all your problems, hope you have a smoother ride from here on in!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I can relate...I ordered a "bolt on " hardtail for my old sporty and it arrived unpackaged from JP Cycles....It's was definitely not bolt on...I needed a friggin pry bar to line it up and the axle sliders were welded crooked....I think I would go with a small shop next time for any frames or tails.....I coulda bought a straighter piece from Wal-Mart......
scootermcrad said:
Me too man! I'm PRAYING that this takes care of my problem!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ditto that! Next time, if I ever have to do it again, either I'll weld up my own or have a small shop who does that stuff all time and actually gives a damn, do it!
BULLDOG13 said:
I can relate...I ordered a "bolt on " hardtail for my old sporty and it arrived unpackaged from JP Cycles....It's was definitely not bolt on...I needed a friggin pry bar to line it up and the axle sliders were welded crooked....I think I would go with a small shop next time for any frames or tails.....I coulda bought a straighter piece from Wal-Mart......

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's some pics for you guys...

Here's how I'm checking alignment. The entire bike was leveled using some washers under various parts of the frame and using a bubble type level. The string was set-up using a long straight edge off of a part of the motor I know to be parallel with the trans drive sprocket. From this I was able to check alignment of the drive sprocket and in-turn align the rear sprocket, wheel, and hardtail:

Here's what the top looks like:

And the bottom holes:

Hopefully I can start making the "adjustments" tonight and end this chapter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts