Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose this would qualify for the "triumph voltage issue" thread but i didnt want to jack someone elses thread.

my bike started having charging issues last night. for the first few times i had the bike out, i would bring it home & put the battery back on the tender, just to be safe. since everything has seemed to work fine, even with the lights on, i decided to leave it off the tender for a few days, thinking its doing a fine job of charging itself back up. wrong. last night, i turned the lights on & the bike just stalled. while riding, the lights were ok but as soon as the rpms dropped, the lights went super dim. id rev it & the lights would brighten. which makes me think that the stator/rotor is making juice but just not enough to keep up with my headlight & taillight. the system is setup with a battery, stock coils, points, a tempannium, a headlight & a tail light.

do you guys think its because i have an H4 bulb in the headlight? possibly sucking too much juice. should i switch to a standard bulb?

or do you think the stator/rotor is just weak & not cranking out the juice it should be?

maybe both?

wes, i may be looking into one of those fancy new alternator kits. could you give me a price?

thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Always worth checking if the battery holds the charge from day to day without the bike being turned on. If it does then battery is good. If your lights brighten on revs then charging system works (That's a very basic test but i cant remember the output figure to measure it). Only thing after that is a massive drain to battery, but seems unlikely a bulb would do that. Is your Tympanium still ok? (http://www.oldbritts.com/17_01233.html).
I still run mine on a regulator rectifier and Zener diode and always have plenty charge.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
could be, I have broken batteries before...do you have access to another one so you could do a quick test? or bring it to an auto parts store and get the battery load tested.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does anyone make a standard bulb that would work in an H4 socket? that would make things easier. i have a standard bulb & a harness from a 77 honda ATC but it wont work with the light that i have without some crazy fab work...... well, relative to the rest of the bike i guess it wouldnt be too bad. ill give it a shot.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For what it's worth I put 6 V halogens in my old cars they all show discharge with the lights on, but at least I can see at night. Try a 12 V bulb and see if that fixes it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts