Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a shovel engine to purchase and was given the numbers off of the case. In order to cover my ass, I called up local PD and the leo checked it. He said all that came up is: bike was originally sold in NY and that no red flags came up. He also said he could not see any other info on it such as most recent regi or any past owners. Would ya'll be satisfied with this? Any other way to check the numbers?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Get as much info as you can on the officer that looked it up. Is way if anything comes up down the road, you have the info of the person that gave you that info. I would be good with it. See if you could get some sort of print out on that too, just in case. Better safe, than fucked down the road.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had a cop in FL do that for me one time. there they have a form that the officer has to fill out. it has all his info as well as whatever he finds out about the bike.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Don't bug him, if he says it's all good then it's good. Bugging him will look further and he'll start making up stuff like bring your paperwork in. Your done after that. Get his name and keep it a reference.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Well said ^^^...plus if you need his help on another bike he will help ya,when you make it a headace folks tend to shy away..

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
What's a leo?

As far as not bugging the cops, go ahead and bug them. Get as much info and paperwork as you can from them so you have something to go on later cause you know you'll be questioned sometime down the road. If the original cop gets pissy, talk to another one and then go to the State Troopers and get paperwork from them.

They're cops not royalty, it's their job to help you.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Law Enforcement Officer. They used to be Peace Officers a long time ago.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'd just simply ask the State Police or BMV if there is a form that needs filled out when running the numbers on a VIN. Simple inocent question. All your doing is protecting your potential investment. Thats gets you "in the door" to have the numbers run and a form filled out or a printout given to you, instead of asking again, making it look like you think the cop doesn't know how to do his/her job.

We've all got differing opinions about cops, but at the end of the day, WE are paying there salary, they are public servants. The ones we come into contact with on the road are mostly pricks, but the desk cops are more likely to help out with a VIN question and understand why your asking. Thats part of there job.

Sixball

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
A customer that used to come in the shop where I worked was a member of Detroit's Auto Theft Squad, and also part of the FBI task force on stolen cars/bikes. He had been trained to spot bad VINs on bikes and was sent to the major meets (Sturgis, Daytona etc.) to look for them. They'd just wander around, looking like everybody else, looking at bikes like everybody else, and if they'd spot a bad one, they'd wander off a ways and make a cell phone call. A little while later, here comes guys to haul it to impound. (or so he told me.)

You may feel one way about that if you've ever been hassled for funny numbers. You may feel another way about that if he spotted a bike with an altered VIN and it turned out to have been once yours, stolen some time back.

He ran all the numbers for me on my handful of "lost titled" projects, and they all came back clean. But the deal was, if any of them turned up hot, he was accountable and he'd give me a few days to pull whatever apart and give him the numbered component. I didn't have to give him a whole engine, for instance, just the cases. He pointed out that if it was hot, I really didn't want it anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts