Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the local huge!!!! ricer dealer, lookin' for a cable for my Matchless G80 compression release. At the parts counter I asked for a 36" or so throttle cable. "What model bike" I was asked. For fun I held out a photo, 'for this', your know the response--"sorry we don't handle that, whatever it is." 'I just need a generac throttle cable' "you will have to have a part # or model so I can look it up". 'Spose the service guys could recomend one that would be close?' "Oh no, they have to reference the computer database for all parts" I headed for the service dept door marked no customers allowed in the service area. My helper loudly read the sign for me. 'I'm not a customer yet!' Service guys (young enough to be my grand kids) got a kick out of the photo of the Match and turned me on to a little no brand shop that makes cables. Met the manager and my helper going out, told 'em, 'I think I have lived too long' Think they were glad to see me go!

·
Registered
833 Posts
This happend a to me when I needed a clutch push rod oil seal for my Hinckley Triumph.
"We don't sell motorcycle parts."
This was at an industrial bearing and seal supplier and I gave him the part number which he started to look up but suddenly stopped when he found out it was a "motorcycle" part.
I got one from a transmission shop down the road. He pulled down a big box of misc bits and found it in a box for Honda Civic gearboxes of all places.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Been that way for a long time,,the counter people know nothing about motorcycle except T -shirt size

·
Registered
260 Posts
I hear ya, I had the same problem just getting a battery! My bike was home made so I needed a certain size to fit in my battery box. What a pain, I needed a bike model he couldn't look up any battery by size! Also similar was the time I needed bearings for my neck...I said screw it and went to a bicycle shop. I told the kid working at the bicycle shop I was building a robot, Ha!! I didn't even want to go through the hassle of what bicycle it was for. The robot thing worked and he left me alone with a bag full of different size bearings.
So next time I'll try the Robot thing at the motorcycle shop and see if they give me free range of the parts bins.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I actually gotta say that maybe it's my area, but the local Harley place is pretty good. I don't even own a harley, but I rolled in with an old wheel one time that I *thought* was harley and needed bearings and the parts dude took the time to measure them, cross reference them, and order me a pair. He asked what it was from and I told him straight up it was from a Honda in a 70's rigid frame, but he didn't even blink. Gotta give props to Harley of Frederick, MD (atleast the parts dude).

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Rigby, you are old man but that story is for any age guy, dealerships are shitty when it come to parts. Like Scavenger said if you want a t-shirt you're in the right place, non standard part...forget it!

Cheers Dan.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You'd have had better luck at a bicycle shop...take it home, cut it to length and solder an end to it. Yep, dealerships are usually only good for modern stuff, anything older than ten years and you are really pushing your luck....can't even get those young turds to understand what you want when you ask for vintage pattern tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a stock FL clutch cable for a foot clutch I was making and the counter kid asked..."aren't those illegal?"

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
There is an old guy behind the counter at my local shop who understands but the kids are clueless if it doesn't have a make and model designation. When I go in for a part the first question is year make and model. I show them this and have a laughm to myself, as I watch the blank look on their faces.

By weslake at 2009-12-10

·
Registered
223 Posts
I actually gotta say that maybe it's my area, but the local Harley place is pretty good. I don't even own a harley, but I rolled in with an old wheel one time that I *thought* was harley and needed bearings and the parts dude took the time to measure them, cross reference them, and order me a pair. He asked what it was from and I told him straight up it was from a Honda in a 70's rigid frame, but he didn't even blink. Gotta give props to Harley of Frederick, MD (atleast the parts dude).
Jeff or Shell are top notch. Don't deal with Dave. He's a moron and im honestly surprised he knows what a motorcycle looks like. Jeff and Shell both came from many years in small shops previously and know what it takes to get people the parts they need and will do what they have to to make sure its right and what you want.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The two NAPA auto parts shops by my house are very good at stuff like this - not greybeard guys, but used to dealing with working class folks that have old cars and motorcycles (like me). Worth a shot...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts