Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
He probably cant hear ya for all the billet thats cloggin his ears from work or hes out in the hill country wrestlin them boys for the old dog eared Trumps.:D

Chuck,BTW your frame is gettin blasted tomorrow or sat should have by monday.
Shoe
CrazyD said:
The picture ya had in a post of the "Rat" ya bought last weekend just a little courious about it. Did ya get it from the original owner?

story time:)

·
Registered
630 Posts
CrazyD said:
The picture ya had in a post of the "Rat" ya bought last weekend just a little courious about it. Did ya get it from the original owner?

story time:)
ok

Ever hear the song Copperhead Road?

There are places in some of the outlying counties where NOBODY goes, that
doesn't live there...and for good reason-nobody likes getting shot!

Out in the woods of Edmonson county, daylight fading fast, halfass directions from a guy who SOUNDED normal on the phone, my buddy Steve and I are spelunking for old triumph junk (mammoth cave is right around the corner). So, we're a bit apprehensive, not quite nervous.

Call the guy again, he just got home and will ride his other bike to the end of the driveway so we can see him. Whip the truck around, see the light, follow the guy up a driveway.

He and his female companion are living in a camper next to a house. Trucks, bikes, and assorted, uhh, stuff fills the yard. Climb out of the truck and meet the guy and his friend. They are what we call tweakers - real skinny and twitchy. Meth is a bad thing.

We take a couple of flashlights over and start checking out the bike. He says they've been riding it until the clutch cable broke. He puts gas in, tickles the carbs, kicks it over but it won't start. Obviously has good compression though. He fiddles with some switches, pulls the headlight off to check a wire, etc. Steve is keeping him occupied while I check out the bike.

Matching numbers. Fresh oil leaking out. Stock fenders, undamaged. Chain guard in place. Passenger pegs in place. Gauges in place. Unbruised triumph tank. All covered in 3 cans of flat black paint . Seriously, they just painted the whole thing at some point.

The owner is telling how he put this together from parts he found in a barn, etc. Not likely considering how many original parts are still on it, like the chainguard. First thing to go, usually (other than the center stand). I tell him to leave off with fiddling with the wiring, here's the money, we load it in the truck. Whole thing didn't take 10 minutes once we got there.

Get it home, it's saturday night and I was going to go out. But I have a hot date sitting right here. I remove the softball sized ball of electrical tape and wire nuts from behind the headlight and begin sorting out the wiring. By midnight I have it reduced to what actually needs to be there. Sunday morning, after some more junk prospecing, I hook a battery to the ignition. Pull a plug and roll the kicker through. FAT spark, nice! Slap the tank on with some new fuel line, tickle the carbs. First kick wants to pop back on me (timing needs to be adjusted), starts second kick.

I make an emergency clutch cable repair while Brent attaches the loose right exhaust pipe. I throw a blanket over the too-big battery and back it out in the front yard. Fire it up and take off down the gravel driveway. Wonder if it's got brakes - yes, but only the rear.

Runs strong, no smoke, does leak oil. Took it up the road Monday and it must be geared lots lower than the goose because it's definitely quicker (goose has a 21 front sprocket).

Now the question is, ride it around until it blows up, or what?

You said you wanted a story....now I'm late for work. Shit.

Shoe - swingarm is almost done, I'll ship it maybe Sunday.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Chuck, I have a very similar story, only it involves a neo-nazi tweaker, a BSA, in the back woods of Massachusetts. The difference was when the guy went in the house to see if "he can find the title", we jumped in the truck, took off, sans bike. I'll have to tell the full story sometime, for full appreciation.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought there would be a good story to go along with that!!

very good story time:) sounds like shit could get very interesting out in them there hills. We might have to have a GumbyChuck weekly story time, HAAAAHAA

I think you should just ride it the way it is, probably should maybe fix the brakes

Have a good weekend.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Chuck lives out where the chickens fuck the hoot owls and ya gets a bunch of lil'hoots runnin all around;)

Chucks got the perfect pad man and the road to his house is a damn fine road with all the twisties and challenges of a good roadcourse.You even have to dodge a church thats sittin damn near in the middle of the road.LoLYou can almost most take communion as you drive by.......
Chuck ya need to snap a pic of that cause they aint gonna believe me.......

Shoe
CrazyD said:
I thought there would be a good story to go along with that!!

very good story time:) sounds like shit could get very interesting out in them there hills. We might have to have a GumbyChuck weekly story time, HAAAAHAA

I think you should just ride it the way it is, probably should maybe fix the brakes

Have a good weekend.

·
Registered
630 Posts
yeah the road to the house is fun...

the back road home from work is even more fun...I took the goose home at lunch yesterday and flogged it all the way home. It's way more fun to ride or drive something that takes a little more involvement, or effort, than the sensory deprivation chambers currently being marketed as cages I mean cars.

This week's other story -
There are two old boys in town that ride triumphs and have been since Jesus was a baby. One of them is a notorious bullshitter. It being a (fairly) small town with a triumph ownership you can count on one hand, of course I know these guys. I run into the one we'll call Glenn, since that's his name, at the gas station on Sunday. I'm on the goose, he comes over and we start talking.

He starts telling me about the extra big bore motor he's got that he'd sell. (Obviously, I'm known as the guy who'll buy anything british.). Having already heard of this motor from one of the other triumph heads in town, my interest is piqued.

He says it's got pistons from a 265 Chevy (I'd heard this one already). Roller rockers (on a Triumph? WTF?). It's a match to the one in his bike that'll do 140 (right, sure).

Somewhere in this line of nonsense is a grain of truth, I'm sure, so I arrange to come by the body shop where he works and view the monster on Monday.

The line of nonsense is a phenomenon Steve and I discussed when out prospecting for the Rat. When the story is first told, it's always a "67 Bonnie, runs, totally restored, with title, for $100." When you get there, it's a set of blown up cases and a goobered up frame welded with coathangers and bubble gum. But there is always a grain of truth.

A little investigation showed that a 265 piston is 3 3/4" diameter. A 750 piston is 3", so there is no way in hell it's a 3 3/4" bore. Unless....you off set the rods, had a custom crank....no no no, you can't do it. But bring the calipers anyways...

Turns out it's a t120R lower end, together, complete, tight and turns over, with the top end off. There is a bonne head with adapters to run a set of keihin carbs, which are included. The big bore turns out to be an aluminum 750 cylinder that will drop onto the 650 case - a nice piece, the calipers show it to be standard 750 bore (as close as you can check with the calipers, I'll break out the bore gage when I get it home, since obviously I'm buying it). And as a fringe benefit, another front frame loop.

Of course I bought it. Now I gotta decide what to do with it. I've got a stock front end, now this frame loop....mebbe build a hot rod motor, with a little bit lumpier cam, bonne head....gonna be a busy winter.

damn it, I got to get back to work

·
Registered
100 Posts
hmmmm......Mr. Bowling Green Jeans,I don`t recall you tellin the story of that there 750 aluminum jugger over at SFC.....you trying to hide something?....and the best thing about tweakers is you can trade a few boxes of cold medicine and a couple a cans of starting fluid for that Brit stuff.....no need for cash....hahaha

PS....how you like my username over here?.....a little more befitting?

some others I contemplated:

Abe Lincoln on Crack
No License required
the Lipstick Note Scrawler
85mph Blowout
Monster Springer Guy

·
Registered
630 Posts
Slim said:
hmmmm......Mr. Bowling Green Jeans,I don`t recall you tellin the story of that there 750 aluminum jugger over at SFC.....you trying to hide something?....
Nope, it's just that nobody over there ASKED for story time! Or seemed interested in the Rat score.

Slim said:
PS....how you like my username over here?.....a little more befitting?
quite appropriate...

get your care package yet?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Chuck....nope,no care package yet....I`m actually gonna hit the shed and tinker today.....ever look at a pile of parts and think,"damn,I don`t have enough to do anything yet?.....I got this but I need that to do this"

in my case,I need to go get the welder,and buy a grinder to finish these worthless tabs off the frame and relocate those darn hardtail bolt holes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.