Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find out how much the front end compresses on a basically stock 82 shovelhead with hardtail, 5 gallon tanks on the stock FLH front end. I'm getting ready to start fabricating my hardtail and I want to make sure I don't build a dive bomber. I'm thinking 6.5 inches ground clearence in the front and 5" in the back should be enough. Cone motor, so no squish bike or around the frame exhuast routing to get in the way. Also, is that too close to be able to run floor board? I like floorboards and I don't freak out when they scrape, but I don't want it to be dangerous.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'll mesure mine tommorow. I put a weld on hard tail section on an early swing arm frame and cut about 1" too much off the top frame tubes, thus lowering the whole frame (it kicked the rear axle location up). I bottom out on most speed bumps, drag pipes (Iv'e got a squish pipe on it now) and drag the kick stand. So whatever I got IS Too Low! My wife kicks my ass on the twistys with her 65 Tri rigid Chopper. We raced thru Hells Canyon and dusk on one of our trips and she saw So Much Sparks in behind her in one corner she stopped thinking I had wrecked!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Voneville said:
I'm trying to find out how much the front end compresses on a basically stock 82 shovelhead with hardtail, 5 gallon tanks on the stock FLH front end. I'm getting ready to start fabricating my hardtail and I want to make sure I don't build a dive bomber. I'm thinking 6.5 inches ground clearence in the front and 5" in the back should be enough. Cone motor, so no squish bike or around the frame exhuast routing to get in the way. Also, is that too close to be able to run floor board? I like floorboards and I don't freak out when they scrape, but I don't want it to be dangerous.
I had basically the same year shovel as you back in the 90s, with same front end, put it in a stock dimension aftermarket rigid with footboards and had clearance problems. The front end always needed a 2 inch extension. Sorry, no measurements, but you're right to be cautious ...

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guy said:
I had basically the same year shovel as you back in the 90s, with same front end, put it in a stock dimension aftermarket rigid with footboards and had clearance problems. The front end always needed a 2 inch extension. Sorry, no measurements, but you're right to be cautious ...
Your shovel definatley left an impression on me when I saw your website a couple years back. I didn't even realise how big of one until I looked at the website again recently.

So know that you have a springer which front end did you think handled better?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Voneville said:
Your shovel definatley left an impression on me when I saw your website a couple years back. I didn't even realise how big of one until I looked at the website again recently.

So know that you have a springer which front end did you think handled better?
The FLH front end handled way better, and I still love that beefy look you have on yours. That shovel was super-comfortable, even on long trips, and rode really nice. The footboards ruled. I'm still ironing out the bugs with the Pan, trying different seat/peg positions and battling back pain ...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My rigid sits 4" off the ground with a stock 83 WG front end and I dont have any clearence problems. My FLH was 6.5" stock and I just cut the shock moutns and brought it down to 5" with 12" shocks and may even go with 11" shocks and bring it down to about 4.5" with 2 under tubes in the front to keep it level. I dont know if this helps.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Mine sits pretty low, Last night after I fianly got the clutch issues fixed I was testing it out and had no problems scraping the floorboards. It sits pretty low about 5 at the front, 4 to 4 1/2 at the back. Always scraped my boards so maybe I'm just being parinoid.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Just got home and checked mine. A 2x4 on edge is 31/2" and I have to force it under the back. Iv'e got about 5" at the front. So now you know about where Too Low is.. I think your good with 5 & 61/2 though. Saw Guys bike and just had to put this pictue in from around 1972. 86" pan the front end is a Honda 750 with an second disk added. I had my leg in a cast and couldn't use the back brake.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts