Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!

Long story short, I was given an old pre-unit Triumph by my brother. It's a basket case but I promised him I would restore it and that's what I'm going to do.

Thing is, I'm not a 2-wheeler type person. I'm a 51 yr old insurance agent who used to be a heavy equipment/tractor trailer mechanic. I doubt if I've ridden a motorcycle more than a total of 5 miles in my entire life.

But, my brother is dying of cancer and I made him a promise. He loved his bike, just could never afford to get it running again after it broke down on him some 35 years ago. He dragged this machine with him everywhere he moved to over the years hoping to be able to get her back to her former beauty. Unfortunately, he disassembled the engine, then dropped the crankcase and popped a hole in it but overall the entire bike is here; rusty, dirty and stored in many boxes, bags, Tupperware containers and tin cans and I need to put the pieces back together again. I know the case is a goner and I'll need to replace that for certain as soon as I identify this bike accurately so I know what to get to keep it close to his original bike.

It will be a labor of love and I'm looking forward to the challenge and the opportunity to wheel that dusty tool chest out of retirement and get to work.

That's all for now!

Thanks for listening

Desert Dan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been awhile since my first post here. My brother passed away on July 24th, 2012 only a few days after I joined here. Since then, things have settled down and I am ready to begin the project of restoring his bike.

Thanks to the good people at BritBikes I was able to determine that the bike is not a 1948, T100 as my brother always thought but is in fact a 1952 Thunderbird frame and a Johnny Cash "One Piece at a Time" version of a 650cc engine. Late 1940's cases, early 50's head, 500cc crankshaft etc...

I'm looking forward to the project and I'm glad to have found Jockey as a vast resource of knowledge.

So, Cheers! Here's to more than a few headaches, some busted knuckles a lot of frustration and a lot of rewarding days and nights in the workshop as I learn and progress in this labor of love!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.