Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....I was out in the barn working on the wife to be's Vespa last night. And it got me to thinking. How welcome would scooter talk be to around here?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had an mid-60's allstate once.. I would say, casually (and this is my opinion of course, which is worthless!) it would be OK if it were kinda relevant, but if we did it too much I think we would attract the "all scooter" crowd, which includes a lot of X (and current) Rockasilly's and wanna-be biker-types... they are an OK crowd but not as open-minded and normal as Hot Rod/Custom Biker types... wait.... .. ;)

personally, if I'm on a Vespa, I'm wearing a sharskin suit and socks to thin they are transparent..

I like Vepa's, Allstate's, all that shit.. I had a really shitty Piaggio once too.. HEY, it was a HARD TAIL bitches!!

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
BigDdy31 said:
I think all the chicks that ride them would LOVE to be able to chat about them. ;)
Hence the reason its the wife to be's. :) Actually I have seen some pretty badass ones. My friend has a badass little Lambo, that will rock.

I have a few friends that are into scoots, but I'm not really into the "crowd", and most of them aren't either. I like scooters, just not the lifestyle.

I was just wondering out of curiousity. Plus I wanted to feel out people who have knowledge on them if I need some with her's.

Just for the record, she did approach me the other day about learning to ride my BSA, so.......

·
Registered
421 Posts
ol_scratch said:
Hence the reason its the wife to be's. :) Actually I have seen some pretty badass ones. My friend has a badass little Lambo, that will rock.

I was just wondering out of curiousity. Plus I wanted to feel out people who have knowledge on them if I need some with her's.
I'm really just kiddin' scratch. I like most things mechanical. I don't really know a lot about scooters and have to admit that I don't have a huge interest but to answer your question seriously, I personally don't mind one way or the other if we talk scooters around here. Some of the older ones DO have some interesting design elements from what I've seen.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I never have understood the attraction....

Back in the day when I was 11-12 yrs old, there was this crazy lady down the street who rode a Suzuki scooter to work......

In a skirt!!!:eek:

On the freeway!!!!:eek:

In Houston!!!!!!!!:eek:

In the SUMMER!!!!:eek:

One day she was having trouble, so I helped her get it going and after that she let me ride it anytime I wanted. I tried like hell, but I never could keep the front end off the ground. That thing was a dog.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Like anything, there is a right tool for every job. For tearing around downtown and zipping through alleys, I love my Vespa. It leaves a lot to be desired when opening up on country roads. That is why I bought a bike.

Scooters are also great learning tools. With the light weight and twist shift, it is easier to learn how to ride and much easier to lend to a friend to get started. It is also easy to work on and rebuilding one was what I needed for the confidence to work on just about anything. For me, they are part of the riding continuum and should not be discounted, but the other extreme of scooter-worship is silly.

There is ancient wisdom about scooters: They are like fat chicks. They are fun to ride, but you wouldn't want your friends to see you on one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.