Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first thing i checked was the oil! sorry man i had to say it. anyway, it's a tiger 650. it's the only triumph i could find within a 500 mile radius. i had to sell my 71 triumph 10 years ago, so i'm really stoked i got one again. it's a nice looking bike but i am gonna hardtail it and change things around. hopefully i can get it to look right.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, it also came with a title from my state! i can't remember the last time i bought a bike or a car that had a title from my state. i almost don't know what to do to register it, no middle man needed.
i took it for a spin around the block. no major problems, the clutch needs to be adjusted, it grinds a little when trying to put it in 1st. also, while in 1st with the clutch pulled all the way in, it wants to still move forward a little. i did a search on here and think i can fix the problem. i pulled it in the garage and started carefully taking parts off of it. i'm excited to get started on it.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
That is a nice bike. Just so you know. I don't think that back wheel slips into your average hard tail. Due to the axle size.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bp131, i hope your right. i've been taking the bike apart in my mind for several days now. it's almost hard for me to focus on other things. i have to finish my buddys cafe build first so i'll just pick at it for now.
i'll get more pics when i'm not at work. my job blocks almost all pics, photobucket, email etc..

La Dolce, thanks for the heads up, i have a hardtail that was on another off topic bike, gonna see if it will do the trick, if not, i will have to look for a hardtail somewhere and figure out how to get the rear wheel to work. just another hurdle, but i'm not gonna complain, it could be a lot worse. my last bike was built from a rusty 1948 James frame in a field...this is a much better start for me.

·
Registered
794 Posts
congrats on your new bike...your going to try and use another hardtail from an off topic bike (assuming jap?)? thie pic is a little small so I can't zoom in but that looks like an oif....no? not going to be as easy to hardtail as you think, definitely won't be a bolt on for sure....besides that looks like a really nice bike to go and hardtail, it's remained intact for all these years....hang on to that one and find one thats a little more delapitated to hardtail????

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
scottto93, i totally understand about cutting it up, but i've been looking for 10yrs for a triumph in my neighborhood. sorry, but i gotta make this one mine. and yes, i'm not sure what i have will work, or even if it will, i'm not sure it will look good, so i'm gonna do what i have to to make this bike look good. if that means buy a pre-made hardtail from somewhere, then i'll do that. i can weld so yhea i know it's gonna take some work but i don't think it will be that difficult(ha! famous last words).

·
Registered
794 Posts
that's cool....there are a bunch of cool oif's in the picture thread....i think they look cool hardtailed as well....i have a frame stashed away for future hardtailing....good luck! keep us posted.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I worked at a Triumph dealership in the early 70's and no bikes on the showroom floor had oil in them.we had a couple demo bikes out in the shop for test rides and such.after it sold it got serviced,the showroom floor never saw oil,gotta tell you something

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.