Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It looks way too short to me. I would get a springer at least 2 inches longer, maybe 4. You have to account for the motor and tranny weight, your weight when riding, etc. From the looks of it, you will only have an inch or so of ground clearance, if that.

BTW, if you end up selling that springer, let me know, I may be interested.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I used a straightedge on my laptop screen against your picture you posted and the front axle is really not inline with the rear axle, using your lower frame rails as the waterline.

Looks like you have a Santee juice/disc 30* rake frame, no stretch, and that is the same dimentions as my Paughco. A stock length early BT inline springer (repro 45 parts depot) worked perfect on my setup.

If you have a +2 up frame or a -2 under springer, I think you have a problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea, its a stock 45 inline springer...
the frame is a flyrite made by santee.

i gotta check all the measurements when i get home later tonight.
just getting the springer and throwing it on the bike it seemed too small, esp. looking at the pics today when i got into work. (was late last night after a few beers).

just thought i'd throw it out there real quick to get some "expert" eyes on it.
thanks.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Coupla quick questions:

That 45 Springer, is it a 7/8" dia neck? Those Springer springs, front and rear legs and relationship of the rockers look off in the pic. Is this a new, repro or original Springer? Did you assemble yourself? Big Twin and 45 stock length inlines are the same length, save for neck dia./thread.

Is this a 'stock' size Santee/Flyrite frame or for a different stretch up and/or out?

Finally, who's dual-cap 'axed' Harley tank is that? An old Paughco?

Let us know when you can..... All these vultures here looking to buy it want to know.

Michael

·
Registered
186 Posts
At least you won't need to buy a kick stand.

There's got to be at least a couple inches of downtube stretch on that frame. I almost thought you were playing with photoshop and trying to fuck with our minds, the picture just looks wierd.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If it is indeed stock length 45",they are 2 inches shorter than a big twin.So in essence,you have a two under fork assembly where you need a stock big twin.The pix are kinda decieving,are the rockers on the outside(big twin) or inside(45")? Best of luck with your project.

·
Registered
391 Posts
45, 61, & 74 springers, both offset & inline, are all the same length. only the neck diameters are diferent (7/8" for 45", 1" for both 61" & 74") the only exception to this is the 2" over XA model & a couple of rare military export models. all front spring fork sections are interchangable.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The more I look at the pic, the more I "see" the +2 up stretch in the downtubes, which MOST of Flyrite's bikes are...+2 up. They do sell and build +0 up bikes, but not many.

There is a problem with the Flyrite "method" of describing the needed springer lengths for their frames on their website. They describe the use of a "stock length" springer needed on a +2 up frame, and a -2 under springer needed on a +0 stretch frame.

Too bad the springer lengths they are referring to is the modern DNA/Jireh/Korea/Ebay springer and late model HD Springer Softail springer fork length, which I believe is 2 inches longer than a 74 /61/45 springer, and has a bunch of negative trail built in.

Looks like he needs to get a +0 up frame, or a +2 springer.

That early chromed springer with the 21" seems way more desirable than a +2 up Santee frame, IMHO.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Must be +2" up frame, and the lower set of springs in that springer looks as if they are cutted shorter..lower spring length (unloaden) should be 5"...(that's also why your rockers are way to level)..but even then, you won't get away with the 2" up downtubes..Don't cut that springer, get or swap a new frame..
A 2" over springer will change the overall look drastictly (to me at least..):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Here's my V-Twin repro '54-'57 straightleg rigid 'stock' frame with a Big Twin inline stock length Springer. The wheels are 18" star hubs w/ Firestone/Cokers, front and rear. Got about 5"+- clearance. Notice the Springer springs and rocker positions. Not even close to your position. Let us know.

Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Flatironmike said:
Here's my V-Twin repro '54-'57 straightleg rigid 'stock' frame with a Big Twin inline stock length Springer. The wheels are 18" star hubs w/ Firestone/Cokers, front and rear. Got about 5"+- clearance. Notice the Springer springs and rocker positions. Not even close to your position. Let us know.

Michael
that is a beautiful roller Mike

1 - 20 of 29 Posts