Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't normaly drink and fabricate but i was in "a mood" tonight and felt the need to put a buzz on. i also felt the need to actually create something. i just have'nt scratched that fabrication itch lately and since i've been mulling over in my head for days (more like weeks) about building a jockey shift for my BSA i decided that just because it was 10:30 at night was no reason not to get started.

well Mongo came over with the intention of workin on his 60 Olds, but he slept in (3rd shifter) and by the time he got here we decided (with the rain and all) we'd just go see Lords of Dog Town instead. well, like i said, about the time we got back from the movie i was Jonesin to build somethin. i told him to back the ass end of the Olds in the garage so we could start on the custom taillights and i could work on the Beazer. i did some fingerin on his Olds and made a template and told him to cut two pieces out of sheet metal. he got one cut out (ROUGHLY) before he was fallin asleep in the chair. i sent him to the guest room while i toiled away on my jocky shifter, taking the occasional pause to drink another PBR and contemplate calling it a night. well, it's a little after 5am now and i JUST finaly came in the house. hell, and instead of going to bed i'm jaberin away on the internet. (i like to talk when i've been drinkin).

aywho, this is how far i got tonight. i have some work to do on some of the holes and few more to drill. i also have some final finish grinding to do on the shape. i'm sure i'll look at it tommarow and go "what the hell was i thinkin". but hey, right now i'm likin it.

here it is and then i'm off to bed...

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was recently talked out of this by my buddy who only thinks in the logical sense. I'de love to point him in a different direction though!

If you can explain to me how you'll get this all to work without forward controls I can win the battle of logic!

So then with the throttle and clutch both being hand operated and the brake being operated with my left foot the only unused body part would be my left foot (with the suicide shift, currenlt it's used to shift) So then the only combat plan I could come up with would be to have my left foot somehow work the left handsided clutch. Without removing your right hand from the throtle or your left hand from the clutch how will you operate the shifter?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I am not sure of what your asking? So here goes my answer to what I think your asking. I brake with left foot I use left hand to operate clutch I use rt hand for throttle and shifting.While riding before I come to a stop I down shift to first or once at a complete stop pull clutch in with left hand and shift to first with rt hand.Once moving run it up pull clutch in and remove hand from throttle pull shifter back and resume throttle.You usually let off gas when shifting with your foot so it aint much dfferent shiftin with the rt hand.Actually I have found it much easier riding my trumph with this set up than a jockeyshift/foot clutch Harley. Also I would call this more of a suicide shift built by kustombuilder,a jockey shift would be operated by left hand,lt foot clutch,rt hand throttle,rt foot brake.It is possible to build this setup for a british bike but it typically aint gonna be done with a sawzall and a grinder.It takes some advanced machine working skills and tools.
Shoe

PS: kustom shifter looks good but I think you may find you will want it to be a little higher above the tank.My first attempt was out of a old hurst shifter and I found it to short for my likin so I built a different one.

dvlscoupe said:
I was recently talked out of this by my buddy who only thinks in the logical sense. I'de love to point him in a different direction though!

If you can explain to me how you'll get this all to work without forward controls I can win the battle of logic!

So then with the throttle and clutch both being hand operated and the brake being operated with my left foot the only unused body part would be my left foot (with the suicide shift, currenlt it's used to shift) So then the only combat plan I could come up with would be to have my left foot somehow work the left handsided clutch. Without removing your right hand from the throtle or your left hand from the clutch how will you operate the shifter?

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here is the plan. move the throttle to the left side (left hand), forward controls for the rear brake on teh left (left foot) and forward control on the right for the clutch (right foot). that leaves my right hand for shifting and holding on. there is no front brake so there is no need for hand levers on the handle bars. if i don't feel safe witht he manual rear drum brake only on this thing i will add a front brake, but that means different forks cause Hatch shaved off the brake mounts when he owned this thing.

i wanted to be able to have both hands on the handle bars in case of a panic stop otherwise i would have liked to have the clutch lever on the shifter so you clutch and shift with the same hand. it would look cool but if you have to stop real fast you'll want both hands on the bars with the clutch and brake firmly engaged.

i'll admit it is not the most practicle setup (the stock setup would be but what fun is that?) but you give up a little functionality for style sometimes.

i'd concidered a higher position for the top of the shifter but after much "playin around" i determined this to be the most comfortable and best looking possition. with the throttle on the left i can have my right hand resting on my leg and the shifter is right there if i need it.

this thing is my little two wheeled HOT ROD and i want to have it as bare bones and badass as possible. no battery, no frills.

after sitting on it a bunch in the garage and making VROOM VROOM noises i REALY think i want to extend the rear of the frame just a bit and then move the seat back aswell. it feels much more comfortable with my feet forward and my hands on the handle bars if i'm sitting on the fender and the rear of the seat (other than the fender in my ass that is). this would be different for people of different heights and inseam measurements i'm sure. i'l likely build a new hardtail section this winter and perhaps make it sit a bit lower while i'm at it. i still want to shorten the forks too.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Nice work Mike....I like your ideas for the rear section too.

Many years ago I had a friend that almost destroyed his right hand. He could barely hang on to the handlebars, much less work the throttle. He shifted the throttle assembly to the left side of the bars, which made it work in reverse(forward rotation for acceleration) Worked fine for him, and would also work fine for a hand shift bike.

I prefer to slam the gears ocassionally, so a foot shift and hand clutch is what I prefer...but a hand shift looks bitchin.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Mike....my friend used the backwards rotation this way......as you rotate forward to accelerate (with your thumb and first finger grasping the throttle), you are also releasing the clutch lever with the other three fingers. You would never know he was doing it....had it down pretty smooth. ...the other option is to fab a foot clutch...then you really need a front brake. I have other fork lowers I will trade you if you decide to change em.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hatch said:
Mike....my friend used the backwards rotation this way......as you rotate forward to accelerate (with your thumb and first finger grasping the throttle), you are also releasing the clutch lever with the other three fingers. You would never know he was doing it....had it down pretty smooth. ...the other option is to fab a foot clutch...then you really need a front brake. I have other fork lowers I will trade you if you decide to change em.
not sure why i NEED a front brake with a foot clutch. please explain.

Mike

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
With a foot clutch at a stoplight on a hill, your braking foot can't be used, so you need a hand operated brake to keep from rolling while the clutch is depressed.....It's a juggling act that is much easier with a front brake. The other option is a rocker style foot clutch like the early harleys....it has a positive "engage/disengage" operation. A " suicide clutch" works like a car clutch pedal...spring loaded.

·
Banned
377 Posts
this used to be standard fitting for British bikes up to the 1930s ie;

rhs throttle, rhs handchange with gate on the tank, lhs hand clutch, rhs front brake, back brake either side depending on manufacturer

it's a bit awkward to ride, but not as awkward as a foot clutch. Common trick for upward changes would be to blip the throttle slightly, reach across and make a clutchless change with the left hand. 'course, this doesn't apply for downward changes

one trick would be to remove the tank linkage and fit a lever ending somewhere by your right knee, so that the lever could be nudged into gear with one knee using the hand clutch - this for hand-change type boxes, of course

some 30s bikes had internal non-return throttles of the H-D type, particularly BSAs, many 20s machines and a few cheapos in the early 30s had lever throttles ( like an Amal choke lever but two levers ) which are fixed-position as well, so the throttle would stay in position when taking one hand off the bars

·
Registered
32 Posts
Drinking and fabricating????? Somebody didnt read the warning label that came with their tools.

Good work though, maybe you can fab a whole bike while intoxicted.

I see a new promotione deal with OCC and Pabst for their next theme bike. Maybe it wont suck as bad as all their other shit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts