Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
might be old news to some of ya, but i got a kick out of it.

was talking to a hamber yesterday about this and that and he dropped this little nugget of farmers wisdom on me....

got any small dings or dents in your tank and you dont wanna cut the bottom out to get at 'em??

fill yer tank up all the way full with water and pop it in the freezer. when the water/ice expands...(insert magical sound)....it'll push the little buggers out.

gonna try it tonite on my peanut tank...

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
oooh-ooohw...please do not try it with a peanut tank..:eek:

Use a cheap not as rare tank and see what it does first...
(I've seen them pop open at the welds many times...)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Tony Bones said:
This is a bad idea. See my post on the correct way to remove dings/dents.
Its a completely unsound idea. Exactly why would ice formation exert all its pressure on the dented area alone? And as the ice forming is exerting UNIFORMLY over its entire surface area, is it not exerting pressure on any vulnerable seams, or weak areas in the metal - creating new problems? Farmers weren't always the wisest, consider the Dust Bowl........

·
Registered
257 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the ice approach was tried and reported here, it didn't work. I usally make an assortment of special hammers read welded scraps of steel to fit in the neck and reach to the dent.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
oldspeed said:
If I'm not mistaken the ice approach was tried and reported here, it didn't work. I.
Yep, use the search for tank dent removal.

·
Registered
773 Posts
My buddy used his girlfriend's sister.
I told him she could suck a golfball through a garden hose and the chrome off a trailer hitch and he thought she'd be perfect for the dent in his tank.

I haven't heard back from him yet...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts