Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a Hummer from my pal Junior (FatAbone on the HAMB). He charged me $100.

1958 Harley Hummer (at least that's what the guy told him). He found it sitting outside when he went to pick up an old truck. It'll be my first restoration of a basketcase bike- I won't go for show winning stuff, but I'll try to put it together semi-original I guess. Mainly just to see if I can do it. And if it looks like I'll get too much tied up in it, I guess I'll just part it out.

The frame seems good. Missing rear wheel and engine covers and probably some other little stuff. Most of it's there, but really rough. Junior got as far as taking it all apart before selling it to me.

Anybody have one of these things, ride one, or know anything about them? I haven't gotten to dig around the web yet to look for parts or info, but hope to before I start on anything.

Any words of wisdom or stories about your 'Hummers' appreciated at this point.
Thanks-
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Check with some guys in the AMCC they had a hummer club at Oley Pa meet this year, as I remember the gas tank on the hummer was the same as early XLCH but with a key switch built in. Neat little bikes

·
Registered
936 Posts
I know some here and there about them.

There's always that guy at Carlisle trying to sell those ones he restored. I think he just takes them to show, because year after year its seems the same ones are there, and his prices are really quite high, even for Carlisle.

·
Registered
504 Posts
wow that think looks like it was sitting outside at cape canaveral in the worst salt/corrision environment like back at my dad's house.....

good luck!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
have had a couple. first called hummers' in 55. named after dean hummer, ohio dealer that sold the most lightweights in 54. just happened to have a name like hummer. raced sidehack 60's-70's. here is pics of hummer-gulbranson hack. 3 time nat'l champ. dean still alive...pm me if you would like more info

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts