Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble finding used parts locally in Dallas. I'm looking for some used stuff with a good patina. Most of the places around here seem to be selling refurbished parts, all cleaned up and fixed, and are trying to get almost-new prices for them. I want dented, scratched, ugly parts, because I'm building a dented/scratched ugly bike. Any suggestions?

I'm collecting a stockpile of parts for a build I want to start this winter, and need just about everything. All I have right now is a '73 ironhead motor, oil tank, half of a frame, wheels, and a peanut tank. (I don't think I'm going to end up using the peanut anyway...)

Any tips would be great. I've been watching fleabay, but haven't had much success so far, mostly because of shipping prices.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try Aaron at 'The old bike shop' they have a stash of old parts there locally. If not you can never go wrong with ebay or local swap meets. I can look through my leftover parts mine or my buddies ironhead and see what I got.
Awesome. I have the next 4 days off, I might head over and see what he has going on. Also, if you look through your leftover parts and want to sell anything, let me know! I'm looking for banged-up stuff. I really appreciate it!

How do you hear about local swap-meets?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet. I'll look up info on the swap meets. That's about the time I'll be getting started, so that will be perfect. I really appreciate you looking through the scrap pile, that's perfect! =D

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
After writing a long list of what you need you could always put a wanted ad up on here. Building a bike your way is good, making it safe is great. Dont confuse the two mate. In respect to parts that are worn, the best way to get "patina" is build a bike and ride it. No faking that.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks Pete. I'm not looking for structural parts, and I agree that riding it for years is the best way to get a patina. I really am looking for dirtied up parts that shouldn't (I hope) affect safety. I'll probably be going with a flyrite frame, since I don't have the tools to build my own - and I'll be making sure to lace my own wheels with new spokes after thoroughly inspecting the rims, things like that. I just want stuff like lights, tank, mounting hardware, handlebars, carbs, etc that are already broken in. Does that sound reasonable?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
As an Environmental Scientist Id say recycling is a great idea, as the owner of a Flyrite sporty Id say they are a good frame, as a tight ass Id agree scooping up others take offs is smart.

Try the local HD dealers for take off late model calipers, fork legs etc as plenty guys chrome out etc. Some of the best advice I ever had was try and draw up what you want the bike to look like then ONLY buy those parts. Hard to do sometimes :)

When you say you have 1/2 a frame what exactly do you have? Weld on rear rigid sections are cheap and you keep factory numbers. Which brings me to the obvious....

You might want to sort out the issue of a Title 1st if you havent already. If that's the case please use the Search function and go from there. Plenty of previous questions re that.

Good luck with your build, looking fwd to seeing it happen.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome. I hadn't thought of trying HD dealerships for take-offs.

When I say I have half a frame, I mean that a couple of inches behind the neck tube, someone sawzall'd it off. I got it and the motor for $150 bucks, so it's all good. I've got most of the metal, but no numbers and no neck tube. Figured I'd just buy a flyrite and go from there, since they make an excellent quality and affordable frame, that I personally think looks sexy, as well. I would build my own, but I only have a stick welder, and don't know how to tig. Someday I'll meet a frame-builder and beg him to let me sweep floors in exchange for frame-building lessons.

I have about 3 grand cash for the build, and I have some spoke rims, a peanut tank (Really want to use fatbob or panhead tanks, though...) a 73 ironhead motor that I've already rebuilt (love the right hand shift, heh), some raw steel, and a few scrap fenders lying around. I figure I should be able to knock it out if I can find parts that I like.

I personally love recycling parts. I hate seeing them die in a corner, plus they're inexpensive. A while back I built a honda rigid out of recycled parts, and made money on it.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

Thanks for the advice, it was helpful. I'm going to call around tuesday to my HD dealers for brake parts and axles and maybe even look for a springer.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ive got a bunch of old take off parts from my Ironhead build. Let me know what all your looking for. I attend on posting a good list of items for sale today. Oh and when I need something very specfic and no time to look. I call Mike at Old STF. Been buying stuff from him for several years now. He ether has it in stock (used and new) or can get it super fast or fairly fast depending on the manufacture. Good luck all the same.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Try Brown's on Military Parkway (214) 381-9910. They have a lot of old parts. You can also call Dave at East Bay in Ennis (972) 875-9151. Dave has a lot of old parts at reasonable prices. If you have the time I would recommend a visit to both places. And last but not least, you can get ahold of Junker73hd here on the J.J. He's in Corsicana, and deals used parts for a living.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you want old parts in Oregon, try Jeff's American Classics, in Dundee. I haven't been there in years; but he used to have a lot of good stuff.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome guys, I've gotten several great leads from this thread. =D I'm in the process of trying to sell a car I've been fixing up, and when I get rid of it, I should have enough money to finish buying the rest of what I need.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Try Brown's on Military Parkway (214) 381-9910. They have a lot of old parts. You can also call Dave at East Bay in Ennis (972) 875-9151. Dave has a lot of old parts at reasonable prices. If you have the time I would recommend a visit to both places. And last but not least, you can get ahold of Junker73hd here on the J.J. He's in Corsicana, and deals used parts for a living.
I've known Jesse Brown since the Deep Ellum days and even helped with the move to Military,but haven't seen him in years.And if you want to see one of the last real motorcycle shops East Bay American Motorcycles is a must see.I've known Dave 21 of the 27 years he's been there and he is my oldest and dearest friend as well as my closest ally in the parts business.In fact approx 35-40% of his used parts inventory is in my posession and I am responsible for the majority of his used parts sales.Stop in and tell him Junker sent ya,there's a good chance I'll be in the back digging for rusty gold.For pics of mine,his as well as our shared inventory check out this link.There are a dozen or so albums to look thru with more parts not shown.
As stated you can reach Dave at (972)875-9151,tell him I sent ya,trust me on this...I can be reached by cell (469)474-1224 or home/office (903)875-0415 anytime...thanks,Junker.
http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/junker73hd/

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Chopper.Looking forward to the chance to hook up with ya...Junker.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much, guys. Because of the responses to this thread, I've found a WEALTH of older used parts in the DFW area. Now my only trouble is selling this damn car to fund purchases, and picking between all of the quality parts I've discovered. Particularly pleased with junker73hd's selection. FREAKIN OUT MAN. I'm going to drop the price on this car and get rid of it. junker73hd, you don't need a civic, do you?

For example, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I didn't think I'd find something like this:
http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/junker73hd/?action=view&current=019-3.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts