Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to chase and extend the threads on a 52 Glide stem,,who makes a GOOD tool for this ?

Also what is up with 50's HD hardware and replacement and current nuts and bolts. I get the same size ,,but 95% the fit just seems wrong. Picked up Colony hardware for a trike rear and it was bad fit as well.. If I remember HD made there own nuts and bolts at one point ?? if so when did that change ?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Good Thread Die ,,and whats with aftermarket HD hardware ??

If you're threading the stem, you want a die, not a tap:D
Thanks,,I knew I was using the wrong word,,brain fart

and the reason I ask about GOOD one,,is as mentioned on new nuts and bolts,,I don't want to redo the threads then have none of the old parts fit

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Harley used some unusual thread sizes, for Example oil pump mounting bolts aren't 1/4-20 NC, they're not 1/4-28 NF, they are 1/4-24! WTF? Same for cam cover bolts on Panheads and Genny shovels. Really makes it a pain in the ass sometimes.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
Yes Harley does have some threads that are not standards.

Colony hardware should be the ticket. I've used their stuff and never had any problems. You can try Old Dude for hardware as well, maybe he has another source other than Colony? Here is Old Dude's website, another great company to deal with by the way: http://www.olddude.com/about.htm

For the die, try a local industrial supply or you can use MSC: http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRHM
MSC has lots of options, their prices are usually good, and their shipping is excellent.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
As an aside, the Delkron Genny cases have standard thread size, which seems Great!........... until you try and find the correct head type for the cam chest cover. would have prefered Harley thread, and like HD48 mentioned just buy Colony and not have to run down the hardware.:cool::confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.