Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, my mind has again been blow.... just when you thought you saw it all.... the forks on my triumph arent longer tubes someone actually machined extentioins! haha wow..... well the good part is i dont need new forks! i was wondering why the forks had sleaves over the tubes. check this kit out! they just screw into the tops of the stock tubes, then the aluminium holder goes on top of the spring packs, then the slider tubes over that up to the tree.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
scrapmetalart said:
Slugs were popular back in the day. I think they are a little scary...
haha yeah me too! i hate to think what happens when the area with the threads(skinny) breaks........ ouch!:eek:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
getrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdone and get up here in the next week or so... me u and JR will ride!!! im lookin for a bke for him now, or my friend has one cheap.... we will get out there! i rode to racine the otehr day... hard on ass but nice ride, got a wierd noise from back like chain is hittin or something ...

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i should prolly toss them or destroy them in some way so that no one gets killed???? aka i should take them off the classifieds.. haha

·
Registered
583 Posts
They came about around 69-70 and were origonaly 2"-3" long. That kept the seam between the top and bottom tripple tree and wasn"t too bad. Then people got greedy and made them longer so that the seam was below the bottom tree. A few good pot holes or rain gutters and they would bust the fork tube where they were threaded in at. It didn't take long for anyone making them to pull them from the market. There was a lot of expermentation back then and the riders usually paid the price. My buddy bought a Girder front end and soon after putting it on, did a wheel stand, only to find out the spring was not attached to the lower tripple tree, it only slid over a locating stub about 3" long, and the spring came off of the stub. When the bike came down the front end collapsed, luckly he wasn't going too fast and survived with minor injuries. That couldn't be said for the bike!

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Last week I talked to an old buddy who's a lathe machinist.. he told me that he's (still...) making slugs for a lot of Intruder and Shadow owners...Talk about being cheap..

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Last week I talked to an old buddy who's a lathe machinist.. he told me that he's (still...) making slugs for a lot of Intruder and Shadow owners...Talk about being cheap..
Are they at least keeping the seam between the trees?
I'd guess they would be safer that way, but then you'd see the seam...but then you could sell them a kool kustom billet mid-tree tube cover!

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
...but then you could sell them a kool kustom billet mid-tree tube cover!
Yep, that's what he's making also !

(at the end the costs involded would cover the price of a new set of tubes..but then they have to dissasemble the forks..and that's their biggest concern..:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Short cuts ,,the mother of invention

now if old slugs become like Bates seats, you know something has gone terribly wrong

·
Registered
710 Posts
That Japanese company repopping the Arise lights makes them for most of the Japan bikes. I wouldn't trust 'em.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts