Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know helmets, jackets, and boots have come up here, but i dont think gloves have. who wears 'em? why? only when it's cold? or maybe to dampen the vibrations? it's just something i was thinkin' about last nite. i was grindin' down some metal and wearin' some leather gloves i got at home depot and thought they mite be comfy for ridin'. i dunno..it's be another month or 2 befor i get to ride this thing.
anyhow i'll toss it out to you guys. gloves: what do ya think?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I wear them cause sometimes my knuckles get pretty cold riding to work early in the morning. I do wear them all the time, though - pretty much for the same reason I wear a leather jacket - if I do go down, even at a slow speed, I'd rather not have my hands all chewed up.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If I was gonna go out for a while, yah, but there a bitch if yah gotta stop and get gas, or run in the store. Craftsmen work glove are coo, but my buddys dad got me a 10 leather pair from sturgis and they are the SHIT, but i lost em. Fit perfect, warm but not to warm. they will be missed.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I wear g-force Mechanix gloves. They're really comfortable and breath well. They absorb a little of the vibration as well... but certainly not all (depending on the bike of course). My Triumph is like a paint shaker and I do find my self riding one handed quite a bit even with the gloves on. The work gloves probably won't offer much protection if god forbid you ever go down, but it's not like that t-shirt we ride around in will either! :) I don't have anything for the cold just yet. Not sure what I would buy for that.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wear studded road racing gloves cuz I'm a total hooligan and I eat it on regular basis.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I wear my mx gloves because I'm a big girl and I hate rocks and wood bees. Also helps cut back some vibration so I can keep some blood in my hands.

·
Registered
179 Posts
http://www.mechanix.com/detail.asp?product_id=MTC

these are awesome for vibration absorbtion, the knuckle areas are reinforced with kevlar and they fit over your jacket or sweatshirt. my handlebars will numb your hands in less than 30 minutes without them. they are engineered for tire changers, these offer serious protection to your hands. they look a little stupid however, mine happen to have yellow highlights because they were prototypes.

brandon

·
Registered
617 Posts
I wear these http://ringersgloves.com/Products_Detail.aspx?category=LawEnforcement_Military&item=military
(issued to me through the military) but when these wear out I'm replacing them with the same brand/model (since I get out in December). Good for riding with the gel padding in the palm areas. good for wrenching since they are thin enough to feel what youre working on. plus they don't have all that gaudy, flashy, marketing labeling.
My only complaint is don't accidently touch the back of them on your pipes they will leave marks on the pipes (the non-leather shit).

mitch

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
I wear them. Good thing. They got scuffed during my 40mph low-side.

http://www.motophoria.com/ and there also Joe Rocket. I spent $100 on some summer time Joe Rocket gloves but they are worth it IMO. The key is getting a good glove that works in hot weather.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
mcotie said:
I wear these http://ringersgloves.com/Products_Detail.aspx?category=LawEnforcement_Military&item=military
(issued to me through the military) but when these wear out I'm replacing them with the same brand/model (since I get out in December). Good for riding with the gel padding in the palm areas. good for wrenching since they are thin enough to feel what youre working on. plus they don't have all that gaudy, flashy, marketing labeling.
My only complaint is don't accidently touch the back of them on your pipes they will leave marks on the pipes (the non-leather shit).

mitch
I work on a military contract and have also used these. I can vouch for these also. They're NOT good mechanics type gloves, but they are really comfy, high quality and they are supposed to absorb shock also. If I did it all over again, I would buy these for sure!

·
Registered
500 Posts
renorat said:
I wear em.... I wear all the gear... Ever hi sighted doin 80? It hurts!!
Yup, and hay bales don't make it any sweeter.

All the gear, all the time. It has saved my life more times than I can count.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i like the gel in the palm to absorb some of the vibrations. you really can tell when you get off your scoot whether you were or were not wearing them. i have 3 pair; fingerless for warm weather, "normal" for average weather, and really heavy for cold riding.

·
Registered
789 Posts
beatcad said:
gloves: what do ya think?
There's a shitload of road debris and updaug in the air where I ride in SoCal, so a reasonably well-padded glove makes good sense. Try Shift road-racing gloves, or Joe Rocket. in warm climes, Nike batting gloves are fantastic--almost like a second skin.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks for the info,guys.I was watching the biker buildoff the other night where Billy Lame hits the pothole.Been thinking about gloves in case I ever get seperated from my bike on the highway.He would have been in trouble had the bike broke.Funny how those buildoff guys don't wear any protective gear on fresh bikes.I like to test ride my stuff,then go over everything and make sure it's all tight and adjusted before I take a trip. -Strat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts