Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my shovel for a ride this morning out on the airport highway. I hit the entrance ramp and about 1/4 mile ahead I see two bikes and hear the unmistakable crackle of open drags. I close the gap, and to my astonishment -- A FUCKING FLATHEAD BOBBER! Bobbed rear fender (of course), tank shift, springer, shotgun drags, Model A taillight, some cool pinstriping. He's ripping it through the gears. And his friend -- wearing a pudding bowl helmet -- is wailing on a yellow Norton. I don't know what it's like where you live, but I rarely see anything like that.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The only time I saw something like that was at the ABATE of Georgia Lakewood swapmeet. A whole bunch of Japanese guys (lookin a lot like gang bangers) pulled up on old bobbed bikes. Not a single word of the engrish amoung 'em. Old bikers walking around looking sideways at the bikes, trying to act like they weren't interested. Quite a scene.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Very little of that here in Columbia. It's to the point that a lot of people recognize me just because I'm literally the only guy that rides a rigid, jockey shift with z-bars. My buddy Paul is the only other guy I know in town that rides a rigid on a daily basis.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I think that's the same everywhere. Cool bikes are rarely seen out on the road, even in LA and the Bay Area. Majority of the bikes I see out here are modern harleys with chromed everything or stockers. I get a rush when I see a real chopper or bobber out here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
flattracklarry said:
Took my shovel for a ride this morning out on the airport highway. I hit the entrance ramp and about 1/4 mile ahead I see two bikes and hear the unmistakable crackle of open drags. I close the gap, and to my astonishment -- A FUCKING FLATHEAD BOBBER! Bobbed rear fender (of course), tank shift, springer, shotgun drags, Model A taillight, some cool pinstriping. He's ripping it through the gears. And his friend -- wearing a pudding bowl helmet -- is wailing on a yellow Norton. I don't know what it's like where you live, but I rarely see anything like that.
I see bikes like that all the time... at shows!

Some people out here dont even go on the freeway. Sad.

But I do see the occassional old bike puttin' around. Still not that common out here.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
punkabilly1306 said:
flattracklarry are you from toledo...you mentioned airport highway?
Cleveland. Hopkins Airport. There's a short stretch of highway east of the airport that goes from Brookpark to Berea.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'ts real rare to se anything cool on the road here in K.C. Usually my shovel is the oldest thing out there. Maybe I just don't know the right spots, but I doubt it. There's a shitload of guys at work that ride but it's all new stuff. I always get the feeling they think I'm a little weird for riding an old kick start bike. But then being different is part of whats cool about it, right....

·
Registered
361 Posts
All you see around here is right now is the Harly migration to the southern breeding ground of South Dakota. If you get off the super slab you see some nice old bikes. I rode about 300 miles yesterday around western Montana and saw a nice old Matchless,acouple of Shovels, A few 80's ujm's and some real nice 60's and early 70's BMW's. Missoula has a pretty good old bike scene. There are some nice stock and modified Harlys (old ones, pre evo) a lot of british iron, and a few weird old country bikes. At least the old shit is being ridden and not just to shows.
Gregg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts