Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm guessing they should fit, but wanted to know , how the stops on the lower tree jive with the Sporty frame ?? or would you have to cut the stops off in order to use them ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Glide trees in early sportster

If I remember right the sportster had a 7/8 stem and the glide had 1 inch neck stem. Now the 45 had a 7/8 stem i believe. Good luck
Well the Servi-car takes the 1" adjust. Glide , so figured it should fit the Sporty too.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Re: Glide trees in early sportster

Early Sportsters (through mid 70's??????) used a 7/8" neck and so did most of the 45's. I don't really know about the Servi-cars.

I put a Wide Glide front end on a late Sportster for a customer. Even though it came with a 1" neck, I had to ream the neck with a 1" hole saw to get it to clear the stem. I don't know if it was a one time problem or not, it's the only one I ever did.
Larry T

Attachments

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Not only is the stem larger in diameter, it is longer! A Servi-Car that uses A wide-glide has an extended neck casting to enable it to work with a standard Big Twin stem. The overall length of a Sportster neck is like a 45, however the 45 has an extended top nut that Sportsters do not, and no such nut exists for Big Twins. The casting holes in the neck are also smaller so Big Twin Cups won't fit a Sporty neck. about the only way to make it work is to fabricate a stem for the BT trees that is made to sportster dimensions.
Robbie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts