Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This maybe a newbie question but I searched the site and have not found anything. I have a 1970 t100r that is all stock and has not been started in 30 some years. It still has the 6v setup my question is to get it to start (or to get spark) would I need a battery? Any advice or links would help

·
Registered
252 Posts
IF (big IF) the bike is in a running condition, you do NOT need a battery. Nor a battery eliminator. Just kick it, the alternator will put out enough to fire coils.

No, this is not theory, this is the way I ran all my Meridan Triumphs.

But, a battery is a LOT easier to troubleshoot an unknown bike.

Cosmo

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hang in there with the t100r i have a 1967 t100r and i am currently building a triumph 500 bobber(hardtail). The 500's were not as popular as the 650's&750's, i love the 500's, weather you keep the bike stock or put your own signature on it you will enjoy it! Take the time to clean the carbs thoroughly, clean the points and check gap, check valve clearance, change motor,trans,and primary fluids, fresh gas, check for spark, stock points or elec. ignition? If it was converted battery means the world of difference! Good chance the clutch plates will be sticky or stuck together and may need removed and cleaned. If you are a facebook member please check me out on VINTAGE BIKE NIGHT YORK!

·
Registered
706 Posts
My stock 1970 T100R is 12 volt. Are you sure yours is 6V? Six volt electrics went out in the mid-sixties sometime (I think). By 1970 everything was 12V.
You should get spark without a battery. Just kick it over with the (clean) plugs resting on the head and see if they spark. Still, you're better off with the battery.

Take good care of that thing, the 500 is one of the best Triumphs ever made. I've put many miles on mine and have it still.

Get a manual.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks everyone. I'm not sure if it is a 6v or 12v just the reading that i have been doing made me think it is a 6v. is there a way to tell? I have been lurking on this site for about 3 months trying to find out as much as i could. the bike has been sitting in storage with my mom every seance 1980. she told me she thought it was a 1971 so I have been looking at OIF for those 3 months. but she was a year off and that changed thing up a lot.
Also i will be making it a hardtail

·
Registered
770 Posts
You can get a little 12 volt gel type battery at electric supply house for about $9. Or maybe at the battery store. Been sitting 30 years, I wouldn't waste many kicks trying it with no battery at all. Hopefully you've already been clear thru the carb. And when you go buy new Champion N4C plugs, get two pair.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Look at your battery, how many holes are there on top you can add water to? If I recall correctly 3 = 6v, 6 = 12 volt.

Have you drained the old oil etc before trying to start it?

Perhaps post some pics which is a piece of piss.

Good luck, looks like it will be fun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes i have drained the oil in the motor,trans they were surprisingly clean. the gas tank and carbs had a lot crud in them. but took them all apart and soaked them and cleared them all out. there was not a battery in it but i see where one would go. That's nice to know that it is a 12v system i have a 12v battery that a buddy of mine has let me use. i will take some better pics today and post them up

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go to www.collinscycle.com, mans name is stephen collins, in his 70's, wealth of knowledge! Also has reproduction factory mannuels, and you will also need parts book for that year! Copy the engine serial # down to give to him to clear up any confusion on year and make! The shop is in sutersville pa. but the guy can guide you threw most any situation!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Yes, that would be a TR5T, A great bike, but the T100's ended in late 1973.
The TR5T was Triumph T100 motor in a BSA frame, Considered by many as the best of the 500's.
If you see one of those I'll buy it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Triumph 250 used the same frame, did it not? (yeah, I know all the unit singles were built in Birmingham).

About ten years back, I knew where about three of the TR5Ts were, going for about $1000 with low miles, for some reason nobody liked them around these parts. Haven't seen one for a while, but was considering sticking a 500 engine into a 250 frame.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts