Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 66TR6R with matching numbers frame/motor. I'm starting this post

today to document how shitty the NJ DMV is and why if i had another triumph

title id restamp my own numbers.

So day one, research with NJ DMV.

To replace a lost or stolen title when there is no lien on the vehicle:

1. Visit your local MVC Agency and complete an application for a duplicate

title.
2. Present current registration or insurance identification card.
3. Pay fee of $25 or mail the application and a check or money order for $25

to the address on the application for a Duplicate Title.

ok I do not have a current registration because you cannot register without

a title to begin with and you cannot get insurance without a title. well

maybe you can, but as soon as the DMV sees it was never registered in NJ

they will not issue a title.

BUT i call anyway. just to see.

wait on hold, there is no menu option for which i need so I get put into the

big queue. they say 5 minute wait time. 30 minutes later I get someone who says i need a current registration or insurance when i say i dont have that. they have to transfer me to foreign title dept.

says 1 minute wait time. i wait for 40 minutes get disconnected.

my girlfriend is calling back now.

2:10 pm.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
in the meantime i just called international title service and when asked if they had any problems with customers in NJ they said no..and i said because broadway will not issue titles to NJ any longer.

im going to play both routes and see what the NJ dmv says....just for kicks.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome!! my girlfriend got farther than i did. well......

basically they said unless i have proof of ownership then i gets no title.

she even played a story that:

[insert innocent girly voice here]

"my grandfather gave me this motorcycle and i just took it at the mechanic guy...and um..i want to learn to ride it but i dont have a title for it, grandma cant remember when it was last registered or anything she said it might be nevada, or kansas...but she doesnt remember it was so long ago, i tried calling each state but got nowhere there either. this thing is neat so im just looking for what the process is so i can start riding it" so "She" is SOL.

next step. muster some cash together for international title service.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, I wouldnt really blame the DMV. I mean in all honesty, what you are trying to do is build a special construction bike. Their is a clear process to go that route. The catcher is that you have to do the whole inspection thing, which no one wants to go through. Not you. Not me either.

If you did have a title (out of state), then it wouldnt be so bad. Go to DMV, apply for a title transfer. They give you a temp title which allows you to actually register/insure/ride the bike at that time. About 6 weeks later, if the old title (out of state) checks out, you will get the real title.

If you had a NJ title to begin with, then same day obviously.

I'm not disagreeing with you though. I wish NJ was as lax as some other states. Some places have it easy. We dont. But there's loop holes like the one you are doing (out of state title, transfer in-state).

I'm in the same boat right now w/ my Evo, gonna title in NY and transfer in. I can't really blame NJ though. Either you have a title or you dont. And if you dont, you're supposed to go "special construction" route. Which really is a very clearly defined process, however, people like you and me wont do that because we're building unsafe bikes, right? All sorts of sketchy shit, disregarding all current safety laws.

But fuck it right? You gotta pay to play and if that's what it takes, I'll surely keep paying. :D

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EL MATADOR said:
Well, I wouldnt really blame the DMV. I mean in all honesty, what you are trying to do is build a special construction bike. Their is a clear process to go that route. The catcher is that you have to do the whole inspection thing, which no one wants to go through. Not you. Not me either.

If you did have a title (out of state), then it wouldnt be so bad. Go to DMV, apply for a title transfer. They give you a temp title which allows you to actually register/insure/ride the bike at that time. About 6 weeks later, if the old title (out of state) checks out, you will get the real title.

If you had a NJ title to begin with, then same day obviously.

I'm not disagreeing with you though. I wish NJ was as lax as some other states. Some places have it easy. We dont. But there's loop holes like the one you are doing (out of state title, transfer in-state).

I'm in the same boat right now w/ my Evo, gonna title in NY and transfer in. I can't really blame NJ though. Either you have a title or you dont. And if you dont, you're supposed to go "special construction" route. Which really is a very clearly defined process, however, people like you and me wont do that because we're building unsafe bikes, right? All sorts of sketchy shit, disregarding all current safety laws.

But fuck it right? You gotta pay to play and if that's what it takes, I'll surely keep paying. :D
i can blame NJ all day long. im not building a special construction bike. it is triumph. it has numbers. matching to be exact. say the bike is a stock triumph running perfect but hasnt been titled in 30 years, my grandfather gave it to me...passed and grandma knows nothing about it...its not stolen, numbers come up clean....

point is they have "no" process for this type of situation like other states. in texas you can have a bonded title, as well as in other states.

EVEN if its special construction i STILL CANNOT TITLE IT...IMPOSSIBLE in nj....as i have no MSO's for the motor, etc. bill of sale means poo-poo

i wont get into my out of state title woes again but even though it sounds easy it has never been for me. forget about trying to transfer an out of state special construction title. (aspt from florida)what a nightmare.

if they were consistant and had an acual process for me to follow i would do it...........

if it were that easy why is broadway not issuing services to NJ any longer? (im honestly curious about why they arent and ITS is....starting to scare me haha)

edit: i just reread your post....i tried to go through the process with my panhead of special construction....the inspection isnt that bad, but FORGET about say..buying an oil tank off ebay or a front end off ebay...

tried it..been there done that with special construction too.

i would absolutely follow ANY process they had for me to get this bike titled...but she simple said "there is none...sorry"

·
Banned
538 Posts
Some states didn't issue tiles til the 70's (like NY) and all you had was the reggie.I hear it is very easy to get one in NH,,got any friends up north?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
el matador if ya need the paperwork for special construction i think i still have the packet they sent me..it wasnt THAT bad. at least there was a process. be sure to have MSO's and receipts (they dont take printed out Ebay reciepts) for everything.

·
Registered
87 Posts
caffeine said:
el matador if ya need the paperwork for special construction i think i still have the packet they sent me..it wasnt THAT bad. at least there was a process. be sure to have MSO's and receipts (they dont take printed out Ebay reciepts) for everything.
I have it to. I've got lots of buddies who've done special const. over the past few years. I would go that route, but my bars are over the 15" limit. I don't have a centermount taillight. My plate is vertical. Open primary w/ mid controls. Straight pipes. No mirror.

Not sure if they'll bend me over but instead of temporarily modifying those things I'm willing to just pay and do a title transfer w/o having to worry about the inspection.

As far as your example, yeah, you'd be fucked. That's not what you are doing though. You really ARE building a special construction. Triumph is not building the bike, you are. It's a liability thing. They cant say Triumph built the bike, if you are the one assembling it. That's the whole point of MSO's.

If you take a look on the packet you were talking about, you will see some info on Type 1, type 2, and type 3 special construction motorcycles.

What you are building is a type 1 or 2 special construction. Type 1 is a re-constructed bike which is "recognizable" as the original make, yet has customized parts, assembled by an individual (like you). A type 2, is a re-constructed vehicle whish is not easily recognizable as the original make. A fully custom bike like my Evo, is concidered a type 3.

Anyhow, I agree with you on NJ vs other states, but I honestly think it's pretty well defined. Some of the things suck, but like I said. Theres loopholes w/ the title transfer so that's what we gotta do.

C'mon, you knew what you were up against when you started. Pay up! ;)

As far as the Broadway thing, dont know. Not sure how it could be an issue. If you have a legit out of state title and they go check it out with the origin state, what more can be said besides that it is legit?

*shrug*

·
Registered
266 Posts
before freeking out

Rob,

don't get all crazy until you go and read the law. Find your state's law on titles, you might be surprised. There might be a bonding process to allow you to title a vehicle that hasn't been titled in many years - I suggest you check with a body shop guy or auto mechanic that does that kind of work.

You can't blame your state for refusing to title something that you can't prove ownership of . . . do your homework, quit pointing the finger at them, THEN scream about it. Most title laws are designed to protect the true owners of property from getting their stuff hijacked. Do you at least have a bill of sale? Can you prove the history of the vehicle? If not, why get angry at the state for protecting its residents?

Before screaming at NJ, do your research.

BarryW

caffeine said:

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
satanherself said:
Some states didn't issue tiles til the 70's (like NY) and all you had was the reggie.I hear it is very easy to get one in NH,,got any friends up north?

pretty much true ..

last time I used ITS a few years back they were using NH, I hear now they are using Maine ..

one of the documents you get back is that state's letterhead-statement that they dont title, only regi, vehicles of whatever age ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It doesn't have to be this hard. There must be someone on this list from the great state of Maine. Title services operate out of Maine and Alabama. Those are the only states that don't issue titles on older vehicles AND will let residents register older vehicles with just a bill of sale AND don't require a VIN inspection for vehicles registered with only a bill of sale. You "sell" your vehicle to the title service, the title service registers the vehicle in Maine or Alabama, and then the title service sell the vehicle back to you. Since these two states don't issue titles, your state can't require that you produce one. The bill of sale from the title service should suffice. I suspect that NJ is not recognizing bills of sale from title services.

Massachusetts won't register anything that you can't produce a title for (if you bought from a title state) or cancelled registration from the seller. I have a friend in NH worth his weight in gold. I have "sold" a few bikes to him and then had him sell them back to me. NH is just like Maine and Alabama, except that NH requires a VIN inspection by the cops or a local dealer. The guy at the dealership didn't even know where to find the numbers on my '68 ironhead, so I read them to him. Laws in action...

NJ is not too far from NH; if there is a NH person on this list willing to help you may be in luck. Even better if there is a Maine or Alabama person here. NJ can't refuse to register Rob's Triumph if he's got a legitimate bill of sale and cancelled registration from a real person (not a title agency).

·
Banned
538 Posts
When we did and old NY car in PA we just gave the notary a written statement from NY that they in fact did not title cars til 1973 so that the car never had one ,and with that they gave us a title.You go anywhere with enough paperwork
and most times people will just do it,cause they don't wanna do all the paperwork,lol.Though I hear tell Jersey is infamous for MV shite,knew a guy who's title this woman totally screwed up because the signautre were not in the
same color ink so she voided it!! Perhasps trying a back woods notary may be
a better route,a lil ma and pa place?

·
Registered
183 Posts
just for thought, massachusetts will title a vehicle that came from another state without a title. i've done it several times. had 2 vehicles from RI and one from NH. you just need to produce a current or last registration and they do a title search and issue a "new" ma. title. i understand that it doesn't help your jersey situation but just wanted to add about the ma. thing. you can thow me on the list of those who hate f-in title laws. can't get a straight answer from half the people you talk to. each state has there own set of laws. just makes it harder for the average joe trying to play by the rules, it's nothing more than an inconvience for anyone else. if it aint on a "hot list" give the damn dude a title. period. don't want to get political but it's just like all the anti gun laws. all the legislation trying to make it tough on joe citizen to own a gun when it serves no purpose as most gun crimes are never commited by those who purchase a gun legalally anyway. ok.. rant over

·
Registered
87 Posts
Rob,

Just wanted to update you on the out of state title transfer into NJ. I bought your buddy Spike's Triumph... well, I helped my friend buy it... anyway...

We went to our local DMV last Tuesday w/ the PA title, filled out the Certificate of Ownership form to transfer the title, payed $20.

Today he got the title in the mail. 7 days exactly... no issues.

Funny thing is, the PA title said "ODOMETER EXEMPT BY FEDERAL LAW". So we put down "0" miles. Of course the lady at the counter was like... "I can't put zero, what's the mileage?"

So I say, I have no idea, the bike does not have an odometer. The PA title says it's exempt anyway. So she gets a manager and this lady also says it cant be zero. I say, well... it says on the original title that it's exempt by federal law. So she starts nagging... "in NJ you have to disclose it, just give me a number". I'm like.... what if the bike has never been ridden and has 0 miles????? She looks at me puzzled, so I just say, you know what.... I think it has about 900,000 miles.... crackhead.

Anyway... title transfer = no issue. At least @ Lodi.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm glad I live in PA where they will title anything as long as there is some resemblence of a number.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Caffeine is right. Some states can be a total PIA. I think you have a right to bitch anytime your taxes support lame government. Especially so when faced w/ trying to ammend DMV legislation.

I wouldn't want a special construction title on any of my old bikes. In VA, they would be titled as current year model ('06) whinch means:
1) no vintage plate
2) yearly state inspection
3) higher insurance cost
4) more personal property tax
AND under current impending Fed. BS, it might be the one and only!

Remember there are loopholes. Just got to outsmart the bastards.

·
Registered
87 Posts
caffeine said:
thats all fine and dandy as you already have a title.

i dont. yet.

still waiting on the title service as the "normal" route didnt work.
OK. You were concerned that you couldnt do a title xfer into NJ because Broadway wouldnt do it. Just updating you that it went super smooth.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
caffeine said:
thats all fine and dandy as you already have a title.

i dont. yet.

still waiting on the title service as the "normal" route didnt work.
What I don't get is this - how can NJ refuse to register & title a bike with a bill of sale and registration from the previous owner, when that owner came from a non-title state? That's all that title companies do. They register the bike in Maine or Alabama, and then "sell" it back to you. Someone at the DMV is jerking you around. They can't refuse to register bikes that were acquired from a particular seller (the title company, for example). If this is an internal policy, tell them you want the policy in writing. Don't give up until the governor tells you otherwise. Bureaucracies like to play a game where they push people until the people push back. Chances are this "policy" isn't anything - it's the hair across the ass of someone in the back room. It's not a statute, or even a rule from the DMV. They won't be able to produce written proof that this policy even exists.

Organizations get away with this type of shit because no one pushes back and asserts themselves. There's nothing illegal about what the title companies do. You're following your state's laws. Push back and don't be afraid to look like an asshole and make a scene.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts