Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1976 harley 4-speed transmission. I am ready to lube it up now, and I keep hearing different options for lubricant.

Some folks have even recommended motor oil!?

Just wondered if there is an industry standard.....?

Also, exactly how full should I fill the case? To the top?

Thanks!

Mercman55

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Harley used to recommend 60 wt., same as their engine oil. Now they have a special transmission fluid. I've used both and never had any trouble with either. Had a buddy that ran 90 wt. gear grease. He didn't have any trouble either. It takes 1 1/2 pints to fill one. It's in the service manual, they're nice to have in your reference library.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I have a question about my transmission.

My Enfield transmission currently leaks like a sieve, even after months of tearing apart, re-assembling, replacing seals, spacers....etc.

The new Enfields use only grease as a lubricant - can I run heavy/ hi temp/ standard (not sure which) grease to replace the gear oil I run now?

-Sheridan

·
Registered
484 Posts
I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I have a question about my transmission.

My Enfield transmission currently leaks like a sieve, even after months of tearing apart, re-assembling, replacing seals, spacers....etc.

The new Enfields use only grease as a lubricant - can I run heavy/ hi temp/ standard (not sure which) grease to replace the gear oil I run now?

-Sheridan
Some vintage bikes run semi-fluid grease in the transmissions.
http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=141

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I know alot of people use and swear by Lucas oil stabilizer too.
It is expensive I think , we have Morey's it goes 25-50% mixed with what ever oil you choose. It makes a difference I know.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I use Lucas 85/140 or 90/140 can't remember off hand which one it is. Mainly I use it because it's sold at the local Autozone. Thick enough not to leak all over the place. I also keep an old baby bottle right next to it so I can measure it out.

Sixball

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have 80-90w in there now. Should a heavier weight be used or switch to grease?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Lately I've been using Bel Ray's Gear Saver 85W-140 in both the 4 and 5 speeds.

It's a semi-synthetic gear lube, and it has pretty good shear-resistance and kling properties.

I know Baker Drivetrain recommends Red Line 75W-250 for their trannys, and it's another good one, and a full synthetic.
I'll second the Bel-Ray. I've run it in my 4-speed, Evo chop for six years with no problems, including 3000+ miles out to New Mexico and back this summer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts