Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, I need some advice. I cut the tunnel out of my wassell and relocated it so it sits frisco style. All the fab work is done. I did a pressure check and there are quite a few very small leaks ( as I expected). Now I went back over a bunch of them with the mig, but I still have a few places that are questionable. I'm wondering what the best way to fill these leaks would be? I have a por 15 repair/sealer kit for it, will this seal it? I know por15 paint will seal just about anything, but I have yet to use a tank kit. should I Keep welding and grinding? braze it? any other methods I'm unaware of? thanks in advance-Brian

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Keep welding. With a MIG, you're more likely to have pinholes that you'd swear shouldn't be there, but they are. No shortcuts here - weld, weld, weld. Yeah, I know, it's frustrating and BORING!

POR15 makes a really good kit, but don't rely on ANY sealer/sealer kit to do what I know you're tired of doing right now - making sure there aren't any more pinholes to leak under your bondo/paint.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Everyone always says Por this and Kreem that...for less money, you can take it to the guys that seal radiators and tanks all day long...I got my gas tank "hot tanked" to clean it out and sealed for $25 at my local radiator shop and have had NO problems with it at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
B + M said:
Allright, I need some advice. I cut the tunnel out of my wassell and relocated it so it sits frisco style. All the fab work is done. I did a pressure check and there are quite a few very small leaks ( as I expected). Now I went back over a bunch of them with the mig, but I still have a few places that are questionable. I'm wondering what the best way to fill these leaks would be? I have a por 15 repair/sealer kit for it, will this seal it? I know por15 paint will seal just about anything, but I have yet to use a tank kit. should I Keep welding and grinding? braze it? any other methods I'm unaware of? thanks in advance-Brian
HEY MAN YOU NEED TO BRAZE OR SOLDER IT...MIG WELDING IS JUST TO DAMN HOT AND THE WELDS ARE TOO BIG....AND IF YOU JUST TRY TO SEAL IT WITH TANK SEALER IT WILL ONLY LAST FOR AWHILE...THEN ON THE FIRST HOT SUMMER DAY WHEN YOUR OUT RIDING THE GAS AND FUMES WILL EXPAND ..AND POW!....YOUR FUCKED IN THE MIDDLE OF KNOWHERE AND YOUR PAINT IS SCREWED ALSO....BEST BET IF YOU HAVE LIMITED TOOLS ....CLEAN IT REALLY WELL WITH A WIRE BRUSH AND USE A MAP GAS TORCH AND SOME SOLDERING PASTE(just alittle) AND SOME GENERAL PLUMBING SOLDER TO PATCH IT UP....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I knew this was going to be the answer, I was just hoping for a different one.

Irish Rich said:
Keep welding. With a MIG, you're more likely to have pinholes that you'd swear shouldn't be there, but they are. No shortcuts here - weld, weld, weld. Yeah, I know, it's frustrating and BORING!

POR15 makes a really good kit, but don't rely on ANY sealer/sealer kit to do what I know you're tired of doing right now - making sure there aren't any more pinholes to leak under your bondo/paint.

·
Registered
886 Posts
chicagogreaser said:
Everyone always says Por this and Kreem that...for less money, you can take it to the guys that seal radiators and tanks all day long...I got my gas tank "hot tanked" to clean it out and sealed for $25 at my local radiator shop and have had NO problems with it at all.
I agree. I bring every tank that I do work on to the radiator shop for a full seal. One day turn around with NO worries. Good luck.

·
Registered
770 Posts
-GOD-of-RUST- said:
I just soldered one up worked perfect
As in you used a standerd style iron and standerd wire solder? Maybe something thicker for like a stain glass window? Now that I think about it, that would work nicely, the wire and flux my mom uses on her windows would cover those holes nicely and efficiently.

·
Registered
427 Posts
B + M said:
If no heli arc is available in the ole day solder was the answer...then take it to radiator shop get it chemically cleaned and sealed...afterall the old tanks were put together with solder if something was so suspect they would have never done it...brazing bondo and paint does not adhere worth a crap so stick to either a heli arc or solder...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts